wxPython libraries never detected

hg

Hi, I recently started coding with Python and I've been trying for the
past hour or so to determine why, every time I "import wx" (or compile
another piece of code that imports wx), Python can never find the
libraries.

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy 6.10, and, as per
http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#sources, updated sources.list with
the sources and installed python-wxgtk2.8, python-wxtools and wx2.8-i18n.
I compiled the latest Python (as of writing), 2.5, from source.

For example, SPE tells me that I "need to install at least wxPython v.
2.5.4.1 to run SPE" and any code that relies on "import wx" reports
"ImportError: No module named wx". However, "whereis wx" on the
command line reports "wx: /usr/lib/wx /usr/local/lib/wx /usr/include/
wx". What could be wrong here? I can't figure out why wx isn't being
detected.

Many thanks.

By default, you need to have wx installed in the python site-package path /
under Mandriva, I have wx 2.8 installed
here: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-ansi/

hg

hg

Ah, now I see. But I have a new problem:

"ls /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages | grep wx-2.8" returns "wx-2.8-
gtk2-unicode"

I copied wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/,
which I assume the programs I am attempting to compile and run are
using by default, but they still do not find the libraries. How can I
tell where the programs are searching for the libraries?

Thanks.

If you're going to try the copy technique (never tried it) , you also need
to copy wx.pth and wxversion.py.

hg

d.lidell

hg said:
If you're going to try the copy technique (never tried it) , you also need
to copy wx.pth and wxversion.py.

hg

Oh, and remember that a 2.4.pyc will not run with 2.5 ... so I would also
remove all .pyc that I might have copied.

hg

d.lidell

By default, you need to have wx installed in the python site-package path /
under Mandriva, I have wx 2.8 installed
here: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-ansi/

hg

Ah, now I see. But I have a new problem:

"ls /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages | grep wx-2.8" returns "wx-2.8-
gtk2-unicode"

I copied wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/,
which I assume the programs I am attempting to compile and run are
using by default, but they still do not find the libraries. How can I
tell where the programs are searching for the libraries?

Thanks.

Steve Holden

hg said:
Oh, and remember that a 2.4.pyc will not run with 2.5 ... so I would also
remove all .pyc that I might have copied.
In fact the interpreter will attempt to regenerate .pyc files if the
current ones are from the wrong version, irrespective of file creation
times.

This is a good reason why you shouldn't share pure Python libraries
between different versions (which I have just realised that a couple of
my projects are still doing, explaining some extended timings I'd been
wondering about - great question!)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com

Chris Mellon

[...]

wxPython binaries for 2.4 won't run with 2.5.