WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

Bob

I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
_not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
JS or CSS-P capabilities.

Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing
in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.

Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
made.

Thanks

David Segall

Bob said:
[...]

You can get a thirty day trial of Dreamweaver
<http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
but they don't have a Linux version.

attitudes

Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.

David Segall

attitudes said:
Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.
I think that only Dreamweaver 8 includes the brilliant CSS view. It
shows you, and allows you to change, the source of all the styles that
affect the selected element in the current HTML or GUI view. I'd go
for an academic and/or upgrade version.

Bob

Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.

That's an interesting thought... Maybe I will look in that direction.

Chaddy2222

Bob said:
I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
_not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
JS or CSS-P capabilities.
I like NVU. http://www.nvu.com
It's a good program, it also has CSS capeabilities.
It's also easyer to edit pages in NVU then in DW and produces Valid
Code.
Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing
Out of interest, why the hell don't you just let him decide for
himself. NVU is Cross platform compadable, which means it can work on
both Windows and Linux.
in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.
It would not be if you had an external Stylesheet and just edit that
too make site-wide changes.
Also if the site is going to be that large, I'd just use a CMS. Such as
Mambo.
Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
made.
I take it you don't care about Spyware then?

Bob

Out of interest, why the hell don't you just let him decide for
himself. NVU is Cross platform compadable, which means it can work on
both Windows and Linux.

Yeah... I know... I might just do that. It's the best I've found. I've
tested a whole bunch of other tools and all I can say is that some
people have a really, really strange idea of how to build a user
interface.
It would not be if you had an external Stylesheet and just edit that
too make site-wide changes.
Also if the site is going to be that large, I'd just use a CMS. Such as
Mambo.

It's not the site size, just the page size. Also, I do have an
external stylesheet - but I need to see what style an element (<p>)
has applied to it.

I've discovered that you can see the CSS on the paragraphs in tag view
if you check each tag. Not exactly wonderful, but usable. Also, if you
go to tag view first then it will index to the proper part of the page
when you go to source view, so that might be a reasonable work around.

Sunny

I like NVU. http://www.nvu.com
It's a good program, it also has CSS capeabilities.
It's also easyer to edit pages in NVU then in DW and produces Valid
Code.
<snip>
I downloaded "NVU" and Pagebreeze.
Have just started on my first web pages, using Pagebreeze and AceFTP3free.
Good or bad choice ?

Chaddy2222

Sunny said:
<snip>
I downloaded "NVU" and Pagebreeze.
Have just started on my first web pages, using Pagebreeze and AceFTP3free.
Good or bad choice ?
I have never used PageBreaze, but if that works fine for you, then I
guess their will not be any problems.
But, I did notice two very interesting items on their website. The main
one is that by default your pages can be viewed in Internet Explorer.
Which is ok, but, you should make sure that you have a copy of FireFox
installed on your Machine for testing your website.
Your site may look fantastic In IE but faile badly in FF.
I would also suggest installing, or useing a text only browser such as
Lynx.
Your site will look very different in a text only browser, but looking
at your site this way will also give you an idea on how a Screen Reader
will look at and or read your page.
I would also suggest running your pages through a validator, such as
http://validator.w3.org
This will help you fix any errors that may arise.
HTH.