XMLHttpRequest

Hey Guys,

The problem i'm having is that our company is provided with a xml link.
My job is to create a javascript menu based on the information
retrieved from that link. We/I do not have access to MainServer1 as it
belongs to another company whoe provides us with the data. The issue
here is that the xml link and the XMLHttpRequest will not/dont sit on
the same server/domain.

MainServer1 ---- Server2 ---- Client

MainServer1 contains all the data/xml feed.
Server2 needs to connect to Server1 to build the relevant javascript
menu, which in turn is used by the client. so when the client clicks on
a menu link, the menu should then trigger a XMLHttpRequest which
connects to MainServer1 to get the data.

I can't seem to find a suitable work around, the error is "Permission
denied to call XMLHttpRequest.open".
Please note that could be "multiple Servers" that connect to
MainServer1 with their own javascript menus.

Does anybody out there have any solutions to this problem.
And oh yeah, the solution should be for both mozilla and ie.
All Help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Krishan

Martin Honnen

K said:
The problem i'm having is that our company is provided with a xml link.
My job is to create a javascript menu based on the information
retrieved from that link. We/I do not have access to MainServer1 as it
belongs to another company whoe provides us with the data. The issue
here is that the xml link and the XMLHttpRequest will not/dont sit on
the same server/domain.

MainServer1 ---- Server2 ---- Client

MainServer1 contains all the data/xml feed.

Then use server-side programming on Server2 to fetch the XML from
MainServer1. If the Client is a browser rendering a HTML document loaded
from Server2 then script in the HTML document can only connect to
Server2, any connection to MainServer1 to fetch XML has to be done
server-side on Server2.

Randy Webb

davey_will said the following on 10/12/2005 9:22 AM:
Hi Guys new to the forum,

A few things:

What about the girls?
This is not a "forum". It is Usenet and the comp.lang.javascript Usenet
Group.

Its FAQ is linked to below in my signature. It covers the aspect of
quoting what you are replying to.

It is *NOT* a "forum" that is owned or operated by www.devplug.com.

You need to ditch that crappy site, get a decent newsreader, and
subscribe to Usenet.
Dr Clue would that cgi you wrote work on a linux system, currently
looking at send xml data to a payment processing website but get the
same error as Krishan as using Javascript to and XMLHttpRequest to
contact the remote server. How can the script be implimented? I'm
very new to web programming.

You are "very new to web programming" and yet you want to try to
implement a JS driven payment processing website? You need to learn the
basics of HTML and JS first.

--
Randy
Question: Why?

Paul Cooper

davey_will said the following on 10/12/2005 9:22 AM:

A few things:

What about the girls?

I don't know about world-wide usage but in most places I know "guys"
is used as a unisex term. I happily call "Hi Guys" to a mixed group. I
am British; the same usage seems to be prevalent amongst colleagues in
the USA.

Otherwise, I agree!

Paul

Randy Webb

Paul Cooper said the following on 10/13/2005 4:10 AM:
I don't know about world-wide usage but in most places I know "guys"
is used as a unisex term. I happily call "Hi Guys" to a mixed group. I
am British; the same usage seems to be prevalent amongst colleagues in
the USA.

Otherwise, I agree!

I have heard it used in that context as well. But in North Florida in
the USA, it's a slap in the face to the politically correct female
gender to be called a Guy so it's frowned upon. Go figure :)

Randy Webb

davey_will said the following on 10/13/2005 9:21 AM:
Sorry if it was offensive to use the term 'hiya guys' it was meant as
a general term to everyone.

No offense, my response was a tongue-in-cheek response.
I am new to web programming however the only problem I have is the
XMLHttpRequest going across domains is not allowed due to the setting
in IE, I noticed Dr Clue had done a CGI Script to do this and was
looking for some help.

And there are better (more widely supported) methods of doing anything
like that in a browser than the XMLHttpRequest Object.