1.4 logging API for 1.3.1 ??

Sasha

Hi there,

I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses the
logging facilities new in that version.

However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
something to do with SSL authentication.

Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth, but
if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

Thanks,

Sasha.

Mike Schilling

Sasha said:
Hi there,

I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses the
logging facilities new in that version.

However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
something to do with SSL authentication.

Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth, but
if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

Look at http://javalogging.sourceforge.net/. This is Lumberjack, an open
source implementation of the 1.4 logging API.

Minh Tran-Le

Sasha said:
Hi there,

I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses the
logging facilities new in that version.

However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
something to do with SSL authentication.

Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth, but
if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

I have been using Log4J that is available here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/

It works with both jdk1.3.x and jdk1.4.x the newer version have interface
that is closer to the logging facilities available in jdk1.4.x.

Minh Tran-Le.

Joseph Millar

I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses the
logging facilities new in that version.

However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
something to do with SSL authentication.

I sympathize. You have a decision to make. In my opinion,
this vendor who refuses to upgrade to 1.4.x is saying they
have a lack of commitment to their product and that it may
well not be supported in the near future. Any vendor who
does not upgrade their products on newer base platforms
is forcing their customers to look at other options.

So you need to decide, stay with them and submit to their
control, or look elsewhere for less restrictive product
that allows you to grow and upgrade. I have no idea how
easy or hard it will be to find another solution, that's
something you have to determine, which is best in this
situation.

Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth, but
if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

There are a number of other logging api's available for
Java by thrid parties, both open source and purchased. A
simple search in google will find a number of them.

Good luck.

--Joe

Dale King

Mike, Minh, Joseph --

thanks for your responses. I think I'm going to have to re-code the logging
component of my application (by no means small... it involves a lot of JNI
code), just for this one piece of software. Pain!

If you do end up recoding, it would be a good idea to look at
recoding to the Jakarta Commons Logging API:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html

It is not itself a logging implementation, but is meant to be a common
interface for logging. You code to its API and then you plug in a
particular implementation such as JDK1.4 Logging or Log4J or whatever. If
your code were written to the Commons Logging API you would not have to
change your code to switch to a different logger.