    if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

    Thanks,

    Sasha.
    Sasha, Jul 23, 2003

  2. "Sasha" <> wrote in message
    news:3f1eb963$0$1208$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses

    the
    > logging facilities new in that version.
    >
    > However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
    > which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
    > the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
    > something to do with SSL authentication.
    >
    > Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
    > project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
    > re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth,

    but
    > if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

    Look at http://javalogging.sourceforge.net/. This is Lumberjack, an open
    source implementation of the 1.4 logging API.
    Mike Schilling, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Sasha

    Minh Tran-Le Guest

    "Sasha" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses

    the
    > logging facilities new in that version.
    >
    > However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
    > which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
    > the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
    > something to do with SSL authentication.
    >
    > Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
    > project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
    > re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth,

    but
    > if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

    I have been using Log4J that is available here:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/

    It works with both jdk1.3.x and jdk1.4.x the newer version have interface
    that is closer to the logging facilities available in jdk1.4.x.

    Minh Tran-Le.
    Minh Tran-Le, Jul 23, 2003
  4. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:35:46 +1000, "Sasha" <>
    wrote:
    > I've developed an application server which requires J2SDK 1.4 -- it uses the
    > logging facilities new in that version.
    >
    > However, I now have to integrate some (closed-source) code into my app,
    > which doesn't work under 1.4, only 1.3.1. The software vendor acknowledges
    > the problem, but refuses to support anything but 1.3.1. The problem is
    > something to do with SSL authentication.

    I sympathize. You have a decision to make. In my opinion,
    this vendor who refuses to upgrade to 1.4.x is saying they
    have a lack of commitment to their product and that it may
    well not be supported in the near future. Any vendor who
    does not upgrade their products on newer base platforms
    is forcing their customers to look at other options.

    So you need to decide, stay with them and submit to their
    control, or look elsewhere for less restrictive product
    that allows you to grow and upgrade. I have no idea how
    easy or hard it will be to find another solution, that's
    something you have to determine, which is best in this
    situation.

    > Given that finding a new vendor isn't an option -- and that getting this
    > project underway fast is a priority -- what are my options? Will I have to
    > re-code my logging stuff? I'm not keen on that idea, to tell the truth, but
    > if it's what I have to do... then that's what I have to do.

    There are a number of other logging api's available for
    Java by thrid parties, both open source and purchased. A
    simple search in google will find a number of them.

    Good luck.

    --Joe
    Joseph Millar, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Sasha

    Dale King Guest

    In article <3f1f211b$0$1206$>,
    says...
    > "Mike Schilling" <> wrote in message
    > > Look at http://javalogging.sourceforge.net/. This is Lumberjack, an open
    > > source implementation of the 1.4 logging API.

    > Mike, Minh, Joseph --
    >
    > thanks for your responses. I think I'm going to have to re-code the logging
    > component of my application (by no means small... it involves a lot of JNI
    > code), just for this one piece of software. Pain!

    If you do end up recoding, it would be a good idea to look at
    recoding to the Jakarta Commons Logging API:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging.html

    It is not itself a logging implementation, but is meant to be a common
    interface for logging. You code to its API and then you plug in a
    particular implementation such as JDK1.4 Logging or Log4J or whatever. If
    your code were written to the Commons Logging API you would not have to
    change your code to switch to a different logger.
    --
    Dale King
    Dale King, Jul 25, 2003