    Timo

    P.S. Why doesn't StringBuffer no more compile with current versions of
    jikes?
    Timo Nentwig, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Timo Nentwig

    Neal Gafter Guest

    Timo Nentwig wrote:
    > SimpleDateFormat.parse() does not support StringBuilder in 1.5-beta1 and
    > I assume there are plenty of other methods to which the same applies as
    > well.
    >
    > Did sun forget that?!

    Yes and no. We did not do a survey of existing methods that could be retrofit
    with support for StringBuilder except in some core libraries, and although we
    expect to do that, probably not in time for 1.5. We would not want to slip the
    release for something like this.

    > P.S. Why doesn't StringBuffer no more compile with current versions of
    > jikes?

    StringBuffer now uses covariant returns, which are not implemented by jikes.
    Neal Gafter, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Timo Nentwig

    Timo Nentwig Guest

    Neal Gafter wrote:
    > StringBuffer now uses covariant returns, which are not implemented by
    > jikes.

    What are convariant returns?
    Timo Nentwig, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Timo Nentwig

    Neal Gafter Guest

    Timo Nentwig wrote:
    > What are covariant returns?

    covariant returns are part of jsr14. Essentially, the covariant returns
    language extension allows a method overrider to return a subtype of the type
    returned by the overridden method. For example:

    class A implements Cloneable {
    public A clone() { // allowed
    return (A) super.clone();
    Neal Gafter, Apr 5, 2004