2.0 Gridview question: Template Column Scope

Phuff

I'm trying to do something and its proving tricky. When someone clicks
the edit button I don't want to use the standard textbox, so I create a
templated column. I need 2 dropdowns and a textbox. When they select
a category in the first dropdown the second is populated correctly.
that works. Now I want the textbox's text to be populated with the
second dropdown when an item is selected, and for that text to be what
UPDATES the datasource.

This is easy in a normal case, but none of the EditItem control IDs are
"declared." I cna't seem to figure it out. My current solution is to
have an area above the gridview with the asp dropdowns and textbox that
updates selected rows. Now I can control everything in my code behind
class because its in scope. This is rinky dink and not as fluid as if
it were part of an EditSelectedItem templated column. How do I control
the specifics of these dynamic controls? Thanks, so much in advance!!

Paul