2.4.2 + Zone Alarm

DannyB

I believe this issue is known - I haven't found a way around it.

ZoneAlarm seems to be stopping IDLE from running.
I get two errors:

"Socket Error: Connection refused"
and
"IDLE's subprocess didn'tt make connection. Either IDLE can't start a
subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."

I know they are both due to ZA - I've set up ZA to allow Python to
access the internet w/o prompting me (even though I now it doesn't
actually access the internet.)

This usually happens after I create a script and run it in the GUI - if
the script ends up being a never ending loop - I X out of IDLE to stop
it. The next time I try to run a script I get the errors until I
reboot the computer.

IIs there a fix? I'm pretty sure that this problem started with 2.3.1
(i'm suing 2.4.2).

Thanks

Dan

Alex Martelli

DannyB said:
IIs there a fix? I'm pretty sure that this problem started with 2.3.1
(i'm suing 2.4.2).

Well, good look in court, then...!-)

Seriously, looks like we've omitted a SO_REUSEADDR somewhere in the IDLE
startup code, so that abrupt termination of an IDLE socket keeps the
socket non-reusable for a while; if so, then ZoneAlarm seems innocent
for once (try disconnecting your computer from the net, terminate
ZoneAlarm, and see if you can reproduce the bug).

I can't look into it right now, but if you open a bug on the Python bug
tracker (http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470) somebody will (look
into it, for sure, and hopefully fix it in time for 2.4.3).

Thanks,

Alex

DannyB

Well, good look in court, then...!-)

LOL! wow thats funny =). Type-o's can be pretty amusing sometimes.

I will definatly try to reproduce the error w/o running ZA. I'll post
the bug if it does happen again.

Thanks for the help!!

Dan

DaveM

[...]

I get an the same problem in those circumstances, although I can't remember
if I get that error message (and I use ZoneAlarm).

Windows task manager shows pythonw.exe still running and terminating the
process allows IDLE to start normally. Easier than rebooting. PythonWin
doesn't suffer this problem, btw.

DaveM