2 colour line drawing image format

Spartanicus said:
Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?

Source file: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/2-colour.tif ~17k

Saving it as a 2 colour png I can't get below ~34k after having used
pngcrunch on it (ran it sans options). Similar result with a 2 colour
gif.
gif or png is still the way to go. That image could be quite readable at
1/2 the width and height -- yet it will be about 1/4 the download size.
I use a lot of 1 bit images, and they are as kind to bandwidth as an
image can be. If you give them transparency, you can use
a colored background to good effect.

Paul Furman

Spartanicus said:
Is there an image format suitable for the web that is as efficient
regarding file size as 2 colour (1 bit/2 bit?) tiff images?

Source file: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/2-colour.tif ~17k

Saving it as a 2 colour png I can't get below ~34k after having used
pngcrunch on it (ran it sans options). Similar result with a 2 colour
gif.

Wow, I had no idea a tiff could be so compact! It opened in quicktime
viewer for me which works well and is not that strange of a plugin
though you could offer another set as gifs if people didn't want to go
there. I've also seen digital image library browsers for universities
that used tiffs in some sort of viewer applet window... maybe a java thing?