2 Question about Enterprise Library 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by rockdale, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. rockdale

    rockdale Guest

    Well, I guess I did express myself very clearly.

    I implemented the Ent Lib 2.0 data block against SQL database
    successfully. The system now is a production system. But now we want to
    migrate the database to MySQL. From mySQL website you can find
    Connector/Net 1.0 and COnnector/ODBC, further more this link talks
    aboout
    http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/dotnet/index.html#ADO.NET
    different approaches to connect to mySQL.
    My question is which one should I use so that my coding change is
    minimum. I guess if I use ODBC then what I need to change is the
    connectionstring in my web.config file. But ODBC may not be the best
    choice since it is slow? For Connector/Net1.0 I am not sure wether Ent
    Lib 2.0 support it or not.

    My second question is how can I encrypt the connectionstring in my
    web.config file to protect user credential and at the same time the ENt
    Lib 2.0 can use the decrypted connectionstring. (where should I decrypt
    the connectionstring?)

    Sorry for the confusing first post

    Thanks again
    -rockdale
    rockdale, Jan 9, 2007

  2. rockdale

    sloan Guest

    You want to avoid the ODBC if you can. It introduces more layers, something
    affecting performance.

    The big scoop with ODBC (circa late 1990's) was that it allowed a common
    syntax between different vendors.
    But, you paid the price for this generic-ness.

    However, you have a bigger question.

    Has someone extended the 2.0 Enterprise Library for use with MySql? I don't
    know the answer to this.

    http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP.NET/Connecting-to-Different-Databases-Using-ASPNET-20/

    a.. Database (the abstract class)
    a.. SqlDatabase
    a.. OracleDatabase
    a.. GenericDatabase

    You see, someone has created a "concrete" class for Sql Server, called
    SqlDatabase.
    Someone has created a concrete class for Oracle, called OracleDatabase

    the question is... has someone out there in internet-land wrote one for
    MySql.
    as in, they wrote a concrete class (which works specifically with MySql)
    which implements:
    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database

    Or can you use the GenericDatabase object?

    I'm not a MySql person, so I don't know the answers.

    Your post:
    http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/dotnet/index.html#ADO.NET

    This articles shows how to talk to MySql thru DotNet, this is not an
    extension of the EnterpriseLibrary (for MySql)

    Try here
    http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/MySql_with_Ent_Lib.asp

    which I found by googling:
    "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data" MySql

    sloan, Jan 9, 2007