    datasets in visual studio seem to make things very fiddly and more
    complicated than they need to be.

    Can anybody give me any advice on this?

    Mike P, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Yes. We use them.

    Our business and data access layer code runs on an application server and so
    is called remotely. All calls to the data access layer go through the
    business layer. You have to have a definition of the typed DataSet(s) on
    both the client and the server. We also use signed assemblies, so you
    either have to put the XSD files in the GAC with their assemblies or sign
    the DLLs, if you use xsd.exe to create DLLs from the XSD files, and put
    those in the GAC.

    Other than that, we find the advantages outweigh the disadvantaes.

    YMMV, of course.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Mike P

    Mike P Guest

    Do you create your typed datasets in Visual Studio like the example I
    provided a link for? Is it not a pain creating your methods and stored
    procs etc through the VS wizards? or do you use another way?

    Mike P, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Yes, we use VS. If you want a copy of our internal documentation, mail me
    at pbradley [at] uwic [dot] ac [dot] uk

    Basically, since we have almost without exception already created the data
    tables, we just drag the table the table(s) from the Server Explorer onto
    the design surface.

    We create stored procs manually: but that's another issue.

    Couldn't find anything on the page that you provided a link to that
    mentioned typed DataSets as such. Neither the word "typed" or "dataset"
    appear on the page, according to firefox.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Mike P

    sloan Guest

    Yes (do real dev's use them).

    This is a good artcle about different

    I call strong datasets .. "Poor Man's Business Objects".

    But there are times where they are good. They're alot better than nothing.
    They're very good with related data.

    I use them for reporting, because (to me) business objects are a little too
    much just for reports.

    But I default to business objects, and use (strong) datasets as needed.

    Also see my articles:

    6/5/2006
    Custom Objects and Tiered Development II // 2.0

    5/24/2006
    Custom Objects/Collections and Tiered Development

    http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

    sloan, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Mike P

    sloan Guest

    YOu don't have to use those wizards.

    Just "delete" the Adapter object that VS2005 pops on the bottom of the Table
    object.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...ce/TECHEDSEA2006_SLIDES/HOL/ARC005_Manual.doc

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=LoadDataSet "AddInParameter" GetStoredProcCommand&btnG=Search

    I personally use the EnterpriseLibrary.Data to load (LoadDataSet) my strong
    typed datasets.

    See the url's above to get you going on that path.

    sloan, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Mike P

    Mike P Guest

    How does XML come into this sort of 3-tier development (i.e. creating
    database schemas etc)?

    Mike P, Mar 27, 2007