ASP.Net website 3-Tier Solution

Guest

www.asp.net website introduced a way to develop 3-tier websites (
http://www.asp.net/learn/dataaccess/default.aspx?tabid=63 )

The question is, how to modify datasets without deleting and creating
datatables?

Let's imagine we've a table in SQL Server named "Person",
it includes: ID,FirstName,LastName fields.

we create a dataset in App_Code folder, and configure it to show Person
table and generate Insert,Update and Delete code by its wizard.

Then we write methods in BLL to show/add/modify records of Person table.

Well, imagine we had a bad design and now we decide to add Telephone field
to Person table,
what is the best way to update dataset and re-write BLL methods?

Deleting the dataset and re-creating it is a bad idea, because we may have
many queries in the table adapter attached to dataset.

sloan

Sometimes (alot of times?) RAPID development is not the same as GOOD
DEVELOPMENT.

Try here:
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/
5/24/2006
Custom Objects/Collections and Tiered Development

on how to build a maintainable DataSets (and how to populate them)...

There's a 2.0 version also .... june 2006.

Thomas Hansen

Thanks solan,
[snip]

I totally agree with Sloan, DataSets are probably the biggest anti-
design pattern ever implemented since Visual Basic was created...
;)
STAY AWAY from DataSets!
Use some ORM tool instead...

..t