asp.net 2 report problem with 3-tier design

Bernie Beattie

How do you create a report when you have a 3-tier web application? I have a
class that does all the data accessing for me, so I don't have direct access
to datasets in the user interface tier. I was hoping I could just cheat the
report with a dummy dataset structure nut I'm not sure how to go about
creating the dummy dataset.

The alternative would be to create the report in code at runtime but I'm not
sure if that's possible either. I can't find any examples of this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bernie Beattie

Bernie Beattie

Thanks for your reply David. First time anyone has replied to any of my posts!

I'm trying to use the asp.net 2.0 in-built reporting (rdlc) with a chart
control dropped on, but it requires to have a dataset/table bound immediately
when you create the report. This is the bit I'm finding tricky as the data is
accessed via a separate tier. I was hoping I could trick the report into
working by having a dummy business object with the fields that will be in my
dataset and somehow rebind the data at runtime. But it doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I need a different approach or use a different chart tool?

Thanks for your help,

Bernie Beattie