    create build.xml and web.xml for the web client fromm scratch? What
    else do we need to run this?

    Please Help.

    Karuna, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Karuna

    Jinkx Guest

    Hi Karuna,

    To run web application you will need the J2EE application server
    reference implementation. I guess, it is bundled in what you have
    downloaded as J2EE 1.4. I have a pdf file with me which guides you how
    to create a sample web application which has all those you have said.
    Basically, the J2EE RI has a user interface through which you have to
    create a .war file and deploy it. Mail me to my gmail id, if you need
    the pdf file.

    - bye
    Jinkx

    Jinkx, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Karuna

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Jinkx wrote:
    > Hi Karuna,
    >
    > To run web application you will need the J2EE application server
    > reference implementation.

    Not true. You could write a web application using, say, tomcat to serve
    servlets/JSPs. And if you have a storage requirement, you could use
    something like Hibernate or Torque as an O/R mapping (as just one example).

    "Web application" and "J2EE application server" both have 'application'
    in them, but don't think that this means that you need a J2EE app server
    to develop a web application.

    Btw Jinkx, can you please not top-post? It makes threads hell to
    follow/edit.

    > Karuna wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
    >>has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.
    >>I have downloaded J2EE 1.4. Is this enough or do we have to downlaod
    >>any other server like web sphere, tomcat, JBoss etc? And do we have to
    >>create build.xml and web.xml for the web client fromm scratch? What
    >>else do we need to run this?
    >>
    >>Please Help.

    Find out as much as you can about J2EE and the issues surrounding J2EE
    and its components before taking a big dive in. Don't just stop your
    reading at the J2EE APIs and interfaces: try to take a broader view, if
    you can.
    Out of curiosity, has your client (if such a thing exists) specifically
    required that you make a 3 tier app? That you use EJBs? (i.e. session
    beans and entity beans) Or is this a requirement that you have put onto
    the project yourself?
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Karuna

    David Segall Guest

    "Karuna" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
    >has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.
    >I have downloaded J2EE 1.4. Is this enough or do we have to downlaod
    >any other server like web sphere, tomcat, JBoss etc?

    Yes, you need both a server to process your web client requests and a
    database server to process your database requests. You could assemble
    the required components yourself but it is probably easier to just
    download a Sun Application Server.
    > And do we have to
    >create build.xml and web.xml for the web client fromm scratch?

    You could use Sun Java Studio Creator
    <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/> to do this
    for you. If you download it includes both the web server and a
    database server. However, if this is homework, the output from JSC
    will make it very obvious you have used it.

    David Segall, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Karuna

    Karuna Guest

    Thank you all for the reply. I am doing it as part of my term project.
    So I need to creare web client, session bean and entity bean. I have
    downloaded J2EE SDK 1.4. That should help. If anybody has links to some
    simple applications, let me know.

    Karuna, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Karuna

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 2 Apr 2006 08:11:41 -0700, "Karuna" <>

    >Thank you all for the reply. I am doing it as part of my term project.
    >So I need to creare web client, session bean and entity bean. I have
    >downloaded J2EE SDK 1.4. That should help. If anybody has links to some
    >simple applications, let me know.

    if you are looking for project ideas, see
    http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 2, 2006
  7. Karuna

    James McGill Guest

    On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 18:17 -0800, Karuna wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
    > has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.

    That's a big job, a lot to learn from scratch.

    Get the current JBoss distribution and work through some examples.
    Are you sure you need all these elements? You might want to read the
    Richard Monson-Haefel book cover to cover.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059600530X/104-6061829-4900768?n=283155

    There are plugins for eclipse that help you setup your project so that
    some of the configuration and testing is easier. J2EE is really clean
    and happy, on the surface, but when you acutally get into it you will
    find that there are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of gotchas. An EJB
    application done poorly can be a real nightmare.
    http://www.manning.com/tate2/

    James McGill, Apr 21, 2006
  8. Karuna

    Garg Guest

    Hi Jinkx,

    Could you send that PDF file to me also.
    Thanks in advance.

    Tarun

    Garg, Apr 22, 2006