3-tier web application

Karuna

Hi,
I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.
I have downloaded J2EE 1.4. Is this enough or do we have to downlaod
any other server like web sphere, tomcat, JBoss etc? And do we have to
create build.xml and web.xml for the web client fromm scratch? What
else do we need to run this?

Please Help.

Jinkx

Hi Karuna,

To run web application you will need the J2EE application server
reference implementation. I guess, it is bundled in what you have
downloaded as J2EE 1.4. I have a pdf file with me which guides you how
to create a sample web application which has all those you have said.
Basically, the J2EE RI has a user interface through which you have to
create a .war file and deploy it. Mail me to my gmail id, if you need
the pdf file.

- bye
Jinkx

Alex Hunsley

Jinkx said:
Hi Karuna,

To run web application you will need the J2EE application server
reference implementation.

Not true. You could write a web application using, say, tomcat to serve
servlets/JSPs. And if you have a storage requirement, you could use
something like Hibernate or Torque as an O/R mapping (as just one example).

"Web application" and "J2EE application server" both have 'application'
in them, but don't think that this means that you need a J2EE app server
to develop a web application.

Btw Jinkx, can you please not top-post? It makes threads hell to
follow/edit.

Find out as much as you can about J2EE and the issues surrounding J2EE
and its components before taking a big dive in. Don't just stop your
reading at the J2EE APIs and interfaces: try to take a broader view, if
you can.
Out of curiosity, has your client (if such a thing exists) specifically
required that you make a 3 tier app? That you use EJBs? (i.e. session
beans and entity beans) Or is this a requirement that you have put onto
the project yourself?
alex

David Segall

Karuna said:
Hi,
I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.
I have downloaded J2EE 1.4. Is this enough or do we have to downlaod
any other server like web sphere, tomcat, JBoss etc?
Yes, you need both a server to process your web client requests and a
database server to process your database requests. You could assemble
the required components yourself but it is probably easier to just
download a Sun Application Server.
And do we have to
create build.xml and web.xml for the web client fromm scratch?
You could use Sun Java Studio Creator
<http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/> to do this
for you. If you download it includes both the web server and a
database server. However, if this is homework, the output from JSC
will make it very obvious you have used it.

Karuna

Thank you all for the reply. I am doing it as part of my term project.
So I need to creare web client, session bean and entity bean. I have
downloaded J2EE SDK 1.4. That should help. If anybody has links to some
simple applications, let me know.

James McGill

Hi,
I am new to J2EE. We are required to develop a 3-tier application which
has a web client, session bean,entity bean and the data source.

That's a big job, a lot to learn from scratch.

Get the current JBoss distribution and work through some examples.
Are you sure you need all these elements? You might want to read the
Richard Monson-Haefel book cover to cover.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059600530X/104-6061829-4900768?n=283155

There are plugins for eclipse that help you setup your project so that
some of the configuration and testing is easier. J2EE is really clean
and happy, on the surface, but when you acutally get into it you will
find that there are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of gotchas. An EJB
application done poorly can be a real nightmare.
http://www.manning.com/tate2/