3D plotting with python 2.5 on win32

Discussion in 'Python' started by anton, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to know if some of you knows a

    - working

    - actual

    - out of the box (for me: binaries available)

    Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.

    I know matplotlib.

    There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
    all other stuff need picking sources etc.

    IVuPy-0.1 seems to be abandonware, and there are no binaries.

    I don't get qwtplot3d-0.2.7 to compile on my pc, it seems you need the
    commercial
    qt 4.33 (with opensource qt 4.3.3 I doesnt work).

    Actually there is a big list on python org of 3D software, but I need
    only plotting facility (like Matlab for example), and some/most of
    the listed projects seem not be up to date (still based on python 2.4,
    like PyOpenGL where you get binaries only for python 2.4,
    seems to be abandonware too, sigh).

    Thanks for a hint :)
    anton, Dec 19, 2007

  2. anton

    markacy Guest

    On 19 Gru, 15:15, anton <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know if some of you knows a
    >
    > - working
    >
    > - actual
    >
    > - out of the box (for me: binaries available)
    >
    > Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
    >
    > I know matplotlib.
    >
    > There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
    > all other stuff need picking sources etc.
    >
    > IVuPy-0.1 seems to be abandonware, and there are no binaries.
    >
    > I don't get qwtplot3d-0.2.7 to compile on my pc, it seems you need the
    > commercial
    > qt 4.33 (with opensource qt 4.3.3 I doesnt work).
    >
    > Actually there is a big list on python org of 3D software, but I need
    > only plotting facility (like Matlab for example), and some/most of
    > the listed projects seem not be up to date (still based on python 2.4,
    > like PyOpenGL where you get binaries only for python 2.4,
    > seems to be abandonware too, sigh).
    >
    > Thanks for a hint :)

    Hi anton,

    Have you take a look at vpython? Here's their website:
    http://www.vpython.org/
    And here is an simple example of how to use it:
    http://linuxgazette.net/144/john.html

    Hope this helps :)

    Cheers,

    Marek
    markacy, Dec 19, 2007

  3. anton

    Jason Guest

    On Dec 19, 7:15 am, anton <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know if some of you knows a
    >
    > - working
    >
    > - actual
    >
    > - out of the box (for me: binaries available)
    >
    > Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
    >
    > I know matplotlib.
    >
    > There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
    > all other stuff need picking sources etc.
    >
    > IVuPy-0.1 seems to be abandonware, and there are no binaries.
    >
    > I don't get qwtplot3d-0.2.7 to compile on my pc, it seems you need the
    > commercial
    > qt 4.33 (with opensource qt 4.3.3 I doesnt work).
    >
    > Actually there is a big list on python org of 3D software, but I need
    > only plotting facility (like Matlab for example), and some/most of
    > the listed projects seem not be up to date (still based on python 2.4,
    > like PyOpenGL where you get binaries only for python 2.4,
    > seems to be abandonware too, sigh).
    >
    > Thanks for a hint :)

    PyOpenGL isn't abandonware. Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
    [1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.

    Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary. They
    can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
    function code. Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.

    PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
    yet. (It's just pining for the symbol table.)

    --Jason

    [1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html
    Jason, Dec 19, 2007
  4. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi Marek,

    thanks for the link .. I knew VPython
    already by I forgot it ( the last time it was only
    python 2.4 compatible) but as I see
    they support python 2.5 now ;-)

    I will check it and thanks again.

    Anton

    anton, Dec 20, 2007
  5. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi Jason,

    I know ctypes, my problem is not PyOpenGL itself,
    but during my tests with different python based 3D tools,
    some of them depend on PyOpenGL and since PyOPenGL
    is only available for python 2.4 .... the story ends here.

    Sorry I don't actually remember exactly what tool it was,
    I tried out (or tried to try out) different tools for
    doing 3D plotting, but skipped most of them since I did
    not get them to work.
    (... yes I am a little bit confused since I didnt find
    something working out of the box).

    Anton

    anton, Dec 20, 2007
  6. anton

    Jason Guest

    On Dec 20, 8:48 am, anton <> wrote:
    > Hi Jason,
    >
    > I know ctypes, my problem is not PyOpenGL itself,
    > but during my tests with different python based 3D tools,
    > some of them depend on PyOpenGL and since PyOPenGL
    > is only available for python 2.4 .... the story ends here.
    >
    > Sorry I don't actually remember exactly what tool it was,
    > I tried out (or tried to try out) different tools for
    > doing 3D plotting, but skipped most of them since I did
    > not get them to work.
    > (... yes I am a little bit confused since I didnt find
    > something working out of the box).
    >
    > Anton
    >

    > > PyOpenGL isn't abandonware. Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
    > > [1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.

    > > Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary. They
    > > can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
    > > function code. Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.

    > > PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
    > > yet. (It's just pining for the symbol table.)

    > > --Jason

    > > [1]http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html

    That's just it: PyOpenGL is available for Python 2.5. Go to "http://
    pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ctypes/using.html" for information about
    getting and installing it.

    Obviously, I don't know what problems are with the tools you tried.
    There may be backward-compatibility problems that I haven't
    encountered with PyOpenGL on Python 2.5.

    I do hope this helps you, even if only a little bit.

    --Jason
    Jason, Dec 20, 2007
  7. anton

    Peter Wang Guest

    On Dec 19, 8:15 am, anton <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know if some of you knows a
    > - working
    > - actual
    > - out of the box (for me: binaries available)
    > Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
    > There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
    > all other stuff need picking sources etc.

    Hi Anton,

    You actually don't need to use the enthon installer (and definitely
    not the 2.4.3-based one) in order to get MayaVi. You will need to
    have setuptools installed. Then, you should run:

    easy_install -f http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
    VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

    It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
    numpy as well.

    Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
    Mayavi Cookbook: http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
    MLab: http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

    From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
    MLab.

    On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
    click installer of python + packages for scientific computing. This
    will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
    the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
    platforms.

    -Peter
    Peter Wang, Dec 20, 2007
  8. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi Peter,

    > have setuptools installed. Then, you should run:
    >
    > easy_install -fhttp://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
    > VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]
    >
    > It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
    > numpy as well.

    I have already scipy 0.6.0 and numpy 1.0.4 installed, so
    I assume I can ignore [nosets]

    I will try to do tell setuptools to download all the stuff
    instead of installing it at once, so I can install it on other pc's
    even without internet connection.
    (I have to look, I always forget the easy_install parameters)

    > Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
    > Mayavi Cookbook:http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
    > MLab:http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

    Thanks. I know scipy.org already, its grea :)

    > From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
    > MLab.

    Yes, exact for the first step.

    Then I will look if I can integrate a "3D Plot window"
    in a wxPython application.
    I want to write an application to analyse log files from nc machines,
    and display the trajectories of the machine.

    > On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
    > click installer of python + packages for scientific computing. This
    > will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
    > the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
    > platforms.

    Looks nice, its also nice that its possible to
    use parts of the enthon suite without using the full enthon installer.

    While it may be nice for some peoples, I personally prefer
    to install the standard python from python.org and add packages
    independently.
    (I tried the 2.4.3 enthon installer some time ago, but since
    I had already a python 2.4.3 installation with moinmoin and trac for
    example,
    I didn't like this too much, ... don't remember exactly what I
    didn't like exactly, by I deinstalled the whole enthon stuff rather
    fast.

    Again: the enthon installer is nice if somebody uses only this
    suite :)
    Its a great work, congratulations !!)

    Thanks, Peter

    Anton
    anton, Dec 21, 2007
  9. anton

    anton Guest

    Hi Peter,

    I tried it, but I have problems downloading with easy_setup.

    If I download files with firefox and a downloadmanager it works
    (I also ha transferrates of 3kB/s which is quite slow)

    > easy_install -fhttp://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
    > VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

    My question (I didn't figure it out myself for now):

    Is it possible to tell easy_install to create a list
    of all files to download like

    http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp/enthought.mayavi-2.0.2a1-py2.5.egg
    http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp/VTK-5.0.3.0003_s-py2.5-win32.egg

    so that I could pass this list to a downloadmanager and then install
    the stuff like:
    easy_install -f . enthought.mayavi VTK

    Any idea ... I tried the -n parameter,
    but since after every download easy_install had an error
    telling me that the egg is not a zipfile ...
    (perhaps it didn't get the complete file)
    it deleted it afterwards anyway.

    Bye

    Anton
    anton, Dec 21, 2007
  10. anton

    sturlamolden Guest

    On 19 Des, 15:15, anton <> wrote:

    > Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
    >
    > I know matplotlib.

    If you are going to do 3D plotting of data, the tool to use is VTK. It
    is the de facto standard for 3D scientific/technical visualization,
    regardless of programming language. VTK has Python bindings, but you
    need to build the library from source. VTK is embeddable in wxPython.

    http://www.vtk.org/

    The prebuilt VTK binaries are build with tcl support. If you are happy
    using tcl as middleman, i.e. similar to what tkinter does for gui, you
    don't need to build the Python bindings.
    sturlamolden, Dec 22, 2007
  11. anton

    sturlamolden Guest

    On 22 Des, 03:19, sturlamolden <> wrote:

    > If you are going to do 3D plotting of data, the tool to use is VTK. It
    > is the de facto standard for 3D scientific/technical visualization,
    > regardless of programming language. VTK has Python bindings, but you
    > need to build the library from source.

    And finally, consider building build tvtk from Enthought to get proper
    NumPy support. As with VTK, there is no prebuilt installer.
    sturlamolden, Dec 22, 2007
  12. anton

    gsal Guest

    On Dec 20, 1:24 pm, Peter Wang <> wrote:
    > On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
    > click installer of python + packages for scientific computing.  This
    > will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
    > the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
    > platforms.
    >
    > -Peter

    We who?

    (a little of a side note)

    I just bought Chun's book and have been monitor c.l.p. I also browsed
    through the Enthought site. While I found Enthought very interesting,
    I found it kind of disappointing that they seem to support Windows,
    only, unless I am not seeing the big picture.

    In anycase, I would really like very much to see what you are talking
    about, a multi-platform one-clik-installer of python+scientific-
    computing...who is "we" and where do you think it will be?

    gsal
    gsal, Dec 22, 2007