Graphics Library with Standard Interaction Features, 2D and 3D

Benjamin Blundell

Hi all. I've had a look around the forums and the we and im looking
for a library (or a set of libraries) for dealing with Visualisation
and Interaction in Python. At the moment i've been using Flash with
the Five3D library to do most of the work. Sadly this isnt an option
anymore but it is a good example. Pretty,anti-aliased 2D and 3D
graphics, simple interaction and no need to rewrite the wheel.

Im a fan of OpenGL and PyOpenGL is fairly cool but I really dont want
to have to write yet another camera, another way of dealing with
Vectors, texture organiser, picking, etc etc. Is there a library or
set of libraries that people are aware of that might do this? I
remember a few in C++ and C but it'd be nicer to stick to working with
Python

Cheers
Ben

Python

Hi all. I've had a look around the forums and the we and im looking
for a library (or a set of libraries) for dealing with Visualisation
and Interaction in Python. At the moment i've been using Flash with
the Five3D library to do most of the work. Sadly this isnt an option
anymore but it is a good example. Pretty,anti-aliased 2D and 3D
graphics, simple interaction and no need to rewrite the wheel.

Im a fan of OpenGL and PyOpenGL is fairly cool but I really dont want
to have to write yet another camera, another way of dealing with
Vectors, texture organiser, picking, etc etc. Is there a library or
set of libraries that people are aware of that might do this? I
remember a few in C++ and C but it'd be nicer to stick to working with
Python

Cheers
Ben

Hey Ben,

dunno if this is exactly what you;re looking for,
yet you could have a look at Blender
http://blender.org/
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts

it's an open source 3D application and has a python
scripting engine... (just like maya from Autodesk)

gr
Arno

Benjamin Blundell

Hey Ben,

dunno if this is exactly what you;re looking for,
yet you could have a look at Blenderhttp://blender.org/http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts

it's an open source 3D application and has a python
scripting engine... (just like maya from Autodesk)

gr
Arno

Sorry, I should have explained a little more. I've used Blender quite
a bit and its an ace program.

But what im after is a set of tools for creating a visualisation
program. A while ago, we used QT with the OpenGL plugins and this
library:

http://www.libqglviewer.com/

Essentially, you mashed these 3 together and you got a proper OpenGL
window with basic mouse looks, picks and all the rest of the
'standard' stuff you cant be arsed coding for the 15th time or so ;)
Model loading is also supported from a small array of formats.

im not uber keen that it has to be opengl but im sure there must be a
similar set of python libs out there. PyGame isnt a bad one at all but
its graphic manipulation routines can be a pain (rotations) and its 2D
only but its certainly along the right lines.

Cheers
Ben