Recommendations for a 2D Graphics Library

Discussion in 'Java' started by CapCity, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. CapCity

    CapCity Guest

    We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
    graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
    needs.

    What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
    between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
    multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
    (meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
    Node B can be related to Node C).

    We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
    small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
    of that node).

    Lastly, we prefer an open source library.

    What do you use/recommend?

    Thanks in advance.

    CapCity, Aug 6, 2008

  2. CapCity

    shakah Guest

    On Aug 6, 10:08 am, "CapCity" <> wrote:
    > We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
    > graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
    > needs.
    >
    > What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
    > between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
    > multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
    > (meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
    > Node B can be related to Node C).
    >
    > We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
    > small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
    > of that node).
    >
    > Lastly, we prefer an open source library.
    >
    > What do you use/recommend?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I've used dot for similar graphing needs in web apps:
    http://www.graphviz.org/

    Not sure if there's anything there for you as far as stand-alone Java
    apps go, though.

    shakah, Aug 6, 2008

  3. yFiles.com produce an awesome library. Unfortunately, it'll cost you
    if your own application is commercial. Check out the yEd free demo
    editor to get a taste of their lib's capabilities.

    softwarepearls_com, Aug 6, 2008
  4. CapCity wrote:
    > We're looking for a library to use in a Java application to create 2D
    > graphs. We've searched around but are not sure what will best suit our
    > needs.
    >
    > What we need to do is visually show a collection of items (nodes) with links
    > between "related" items. Somewhat like a tree, except a node can have
    > multiple children, can have multiple parents, and generations are not fixed
    > (meaning Node A can be related to Node B; Node A can be realted to Node C;
    > Node B can be related to Node C).
    >
    > We need to be able to label nodes and links, zoom in and out and have a
    > small degree of interaction (clicking a node will show detailed information
    > of that node).
    >
    > Lastly, we prefer an open source library.
    >
    > What do you use/recommend?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    JGraph is decent and has been around for sometime.
    URL:http://www.jgraph.com/jgraph.html

    Abhijat Vatsyayan, Aug 6, 2008