Recommendations for replacing JGroups

asynchrony

Anyone have any experience with messaging frameworks we could use to
replace JGroups in our application? So far we're under the impression
that JMS would be overkill and we're concerned about discovery times
with JXTA, but its not quite out of the discussion. Right now we're
still considering hub & spoke options, but we'd like the flexibility
to go to p2p in the future. We'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. JGroup Issues we had:
JGroups would remove a node [it would go out of wireless range] and
when it re-entered the network, the network would become split-brained
and there would be 3 groups of nodes being combined instead of just 2
[the node that left and the group that contains everybody else]. Some
nodes would be pulled from the original group and join the group the
re-entering node created.We then had trouble getting them all to come
back into the same group.

Arne Vajhøj

asynchrony said:
[...]

I like message queues/MDB's/JMS a lot, but I find it difficult
to see JMS as a replacement for JGroups.

If you do real messaging then message queues is obviously
the solution.

If you do replication, then you need something suited for that,
but a few comments:
- I would suggest using something on top of JGroups instead og
raw JGroups
- upgrade JGroups carefully to avoid bugs already found by other

JXTA is P2P and third type of software.

Arne

asynchrony

asynchrony said:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, Arne. To elaborate on our needs, we're basically
just trying to maintain messaging between nodes on an unstable
wireless network. We were going the route of implementing our own
reliable message queues on top of JGroups, but we weren't satisfied
with JGroups' ability to maintain accurate group membership in our
unreliable network.

While we're looking at solutions for this issue, we are also
considering changing our current hub & spoke model to a p2p, since
multiple client nodes are often out of range of the hub. This is where
JXTA would come in. However, we've never used JXTA, and are concerned
about its performance in a wireless network.

I guess the real heart of the issue is finding something that will at
least give us accurate awareness of everyone on the network, and
preferably provide reliable messaging queues as well. Has anyone come
across any such solution, or has anyone leveraged any of the above
technologies successfully in this sort of situation?

Thanks,
Tim

Arne Vajhøj

asynchrony said:
asynchrony said:
[...]

If you need a message queue system, then you should find one and
use instead of trying to create your own. It is far from a trivial
task to create a good message queue system.

Find a message queue system that supports clustering with and
without persisting messages.

Arne