4.01 doctype sans dtd uri doesn't validate?

Headless

When I try to validate a document with a 4.01 Strict doctype sans dtd
uri it doesn't validate.

It's been a while since I used a 4.01 Strict doctype, I don't remember
that the uri was mandatory, bad memory?

Headless

Eric B. Bednarz

Headless said:
When I try to validate a document with a 4.01 Strict doctype sans dtd
uri it doesn't validate.

I suppose you are using the W3C validation service? I cannot reproduce
that here. It would be better to post the URI reference of the page you
are trying to validate or the one of the validation result page.
It's been a while since I used a 4.01 Strict doctype, I don't remember
that the uri was mandatory, bad memory?

Section 7.2 of HTML 4.01 implies that for all flavors of HTML 4.01 with
the wording 'one of the following', which is usually interpreted as
'one of these fixed notations'. That's nonsense, of course. It isn't
backed up by SGML, a validating SGML parser couldn't care less and
the spec doesn't use system identifiers at all in its own documents.

Toby A Inkster

Headless said:
When I try to validate a document with a 4.01 Strict doctype sans dtd
uri it doesn't validate.

You have:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Strict//EN">

You should have:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

Headless

Toby said:
You have:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Strict//EN">

You should have:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

Slaps forehead: duh.

Headless