A good C Programming book.

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by G., Dec 30, 2003.

  1. G.

    G. Guest

    Hi all,

    During my degree, BEng (Hons) Electronics and Communications Engineering, we
    did C programming every year, but I never kept it up, as I had no interest
    and didn't see the point. But now I really want to get back into it as I see
    a point with GNU/Linux. I want to get my old skills back and write something
    or help on some projects etc.

    I need some good books. I used to have one called "A Book On C", but sold
    it,
    and I have been reading various tutorials on the web and the many devoted
    websites.

    Anyone have any recommendations?

    One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more with
    GNU/Linux?

    Thanks for your time,

    - --
    Regards

    http://www.magicfx.co.uk
    http://www.suretecsystems.com

    G., Dec 30, 2003

  2. G.

    Leo Custodio Guest

    G.,

    There are many aspects to consider when choosing a C book. "Problem Solving
    and Program Design in C" (Hanly J., Koffman E.) is a very good one, for
    beg./int. level; "C Programming Language" (Kernighan B., Ritchie D.) is also
    a very good. If the person has clearly no idea of C, programming and
    programming logic, I would say "C for Dummies" (Gookin D.)would be the best.
    (Many will scream at me for that, sorry!).
    Regarding your choice between C and C++....hard to say, even with "Which
    will benefit me more with GNU/Linux?"
    Depending on what type of application you will develop in Linux, C++ (object
    oriented) might be better. But if what you will be doing is apply changes to
    the kernel, or help out with current projects, C is better (as for they
    currently use it).
    My answer is: I don't know. (But I use C!) ;)

    Hope I've helped.
    Leo Custodio

    Leo Custodio, Dec 30, 2003

  3. G.

    Jalapeno Guest

    In article
    <H4lIb.170199$>,
    "Leo Custodio" <> wrote:

    > If the person has clearly no idea of C, programming and
    > programming logic, I would say "C for Dummies" (Gookin D.)would be the best.
    > (Many will scream at me for that, sorry!).

    I'd say that K.N. King's book: C a modern approach is a much, much
    better choice for this person. Gookin's Apple II books weren't all that
    hot either.

    --
    "Well, coming from the AeroSpace Manufacturing field, I must add
    that titanium is an alloy of aluminum, magnesium and other metals,

    Jalapeno, Dec 30, 2003
  4. G.

    G. Guest

    "Leo Custodio" <> wrote in message
    > G.,
    >
    > There are many aspects to consider when choosing a C book. "Problem

    Solving
    > and Program Design in C" (Hanly J., Koffman E.) is a very good one, for
    > beg./int. level; "C Programming Language" (Kernighan B., Ritchie D.) is

    also
    > a very good. If the person has clearly no idea of C, programming and
    > programming logic, I would say "C for Dummies" (Gookin D.)would be the

    best.
    > (Many will scream at me for that, sorry!).
    > Regarding your choice between C and C++....hard to say, even with "Which
    > will benefit me more with GNU/Linux?"
    > Depending on what type of application you will develop in Linux, C++

    (object
    > oriented) might be better. But if what you will be doing is apply changes

    > the kernel, or help out with current projects, C is better (as for they
    > currently use it).
    > My answer is: I don't know. (But I use C!) ;)

    I decided to get a cheap one off ebay, and I got "Practical C++ Programming"
    by O'reilly for £6, I am looking for the K&R one and the "Practical C
    Programming" by O'reilly too. I think I will start with C first, as I am
    familar with it, and general programming practice, then when/if I do some
    gui work, start on C++.

    Thanks for your time,

    Gavin.

    G., Dec 30, 2003
  5. G.

    G. Guest

    [snip]

    > I'd say that K.N. King's book: C a modern approach is a much, much
    > better choice for this person. Gookin's Apple II books weren't all that
    > hot either.

    I will check this one out too.

    Thanks.

    G., Dec 30, 2003
  6. G. wrote:
    > I decided to get a cheap one off ebay, and I got "Practical C++ Programming"
    > by O'reilly for £6, I am looking for the K&R one and the "Practical C
    > Programming" by O'reilly too.

    "Practical C Programming" might not be a wise buy, actually. Same with
    "Practical C++ Programming". Neither got good reviews by the ACCU
    (Association of C and C++ Users), which is generally held in high regard.

    http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0ti_p&file=p001735a
    -- Review of "Practical C Programming"
    http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0ti_p&file=p001010a
    -- Review of "Practical C++ Programming"
    Both got a "Not Recommended" rating.
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/index.htm
    -- "Highly Recommended" works, indexed by subject.
    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/
    -- ACCU reviews index

    > I think I will start with C first, as I am
    > familar with it, and general programming practice, then when/if I do some
    > gui work, start on C++.

    Don't try to use C as a stepping-stone to C++. It won't work. Good C++
    progams are not good C programs, and vice-versa.

    In fact, don't think of C++ as a descendent of C. Think of it more like
    a distant cousin or nephew. It's changed so much from when it was built
    on top of C, to the point where a conformant C program is no longer
    guaranteed to compile, or work correctly when compiled, in a C++
    environment.

    August Derleth, Dec 31, 2003
  7. G.

    donLouis Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:18:58 -0000
    "G." <> wrote:

    > I decided to get a cheap one off ebay, and I got "Practical C++ Programming"
    > by O'reilly for £6, I am looking for the K&R one and the "Practical C
    > Programming" by O'reilly too. I think I will start with C first, as I am
    > familar with it, and general programming practice, then when/if I do some
    > gui work, start on C++.

    You don't have to do GUI work in C++. X, GTK, motif, etc, are all done
    in C. As far as books go:

    "The Standard C Library" by P.J. Plauger
    K&R _second_edition_
    "The C Answer Book" by Tondo & Gimpel
    C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html by Steve Summit

    /*OT
    * "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan & Pike
    * "Software Tools" by Kernighan & Plauger
    * "Programming Perls" & "More Programming Perls" by Jon Bentley
    * Any and everything that W. Richard Stevens ever wrote
    OT*/

    --
    donLouis

    donLouis, Dec 31, 2003
  8. G.

    G. Guest

    "August Derleth" <> wrote in message
    > G. wrote:
    > > I decided to get a cheap one off ebay, and I got "Practical C++

    Programming"
    > > by O'reilly for £6, I am looking for the K&R one and the "Practical C
    > > Programming" by O'reilly too.

    > "Practical C Programming" might not be a wise buy, actually. Same with
    > "Practical C++ Programming". Neither got good reviews by the ACCU
    > (Association of C and C++ Users), which is generally held in high regard.
    >
    > http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0ti_p&file=p001735a
    > -- Review of "Practical C Programming"
    > http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0ti_p&file=p001010a
    > -- Review of "Practical C++ Programming"
    > Both got a "Not Recommended" rating.
    > http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/index.htm
    > -- "Highly Recommended" works, indexed by subject.
    > http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/
    > -- ACCU reviews index
    >
    > > I think I will start with C first, as I am
    > > familar with it, and general programming practice, then when/if I do

    some
    > > gui work, start on C++.

    > Don't try to use C as a stepping-stone to C++. It won't work. Good C++
    > progams are not good C programs, and vice-versa.
    >
    > In fact, don't think of C++ as a descendent of C. Think of it more like
    > a distant cousin or nephew. It's changed so much from when it was built
    > on top of C, to the point where a conformant C program is no longer
    > guaranteed to compile, or work correctly when compiled, in a C++
    > environment.

    I have read over the accu site and it sounds like the C++ is rubbish. I have
    bid on the K&R one, as everyone recommends that. Well that other C++ was a
    waste of money. I will also stick with C just now as that's what I kind of
    know.

    Thanks,

    Gavin.

    G., Dec 31, 2003
  9. G.

    Manish Singh Guest

    "G." <> wrote in message news:<TkkIb.6838$9.net>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > During my degree, BEng (Hons) Electronics and Communications Engineering, we
    > did C programming every year, but I never kept it up, as I had no interest
    > and didn't see the point. But now I really want to get back into it as I see
    > a point with GNU/Linux. I want to get my old skills back and write something
    > or help on some projects etc.
    >
    > I need some good books. I used to have one called "A Book On C", but sold
    > it,
    > and I have been reading various tutorials on the web and the many devoted
    > websites.
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations?

    "A Book on C" is a very good primer on C. Selling it was definitely a bad
    decision. Look forward to get it back again.

    Other books of interest are:
    1> C Primer Plus, 4th edition - Stephen Prata. Sams
    2> C : How to Program, 3rd or 4th edition - Deitel & Deitel
    3> The C Programming Language, ANSI C 2nd edition - K&R
    4> C Traps and Pitfalls - Andrew Koenig
    5> Practice of Programming - Kernighan & Pike
    6> Code Complete - Steve McConnell, Microsoft Press
    7> Applications Programming in ANSI C, 3rd ed. - Johnsonbaugh & Kalin
    8> C Programming FAQs - Steve Summit
    9> C Unleashed - Richard Heathfield et al. (level: advanced)
    10> How to Solve it by Computer
    11> The Standard C Library - Plauger
    12> C : A Reference Manual - Harbison & Steele, 5th ed.
    13> Expert C Programming : Deep C Secters - Peter van der Linden
    14> The Art Of Computer Programming, 3 volumes - Knuth
    15> C Interfaces and Implementations : Techniques for Creating Reusable
    Software - David Hanson ( Haven't read it myself, yet)
    16> Algorithms in C, part 1-5 - Sedgewick
    17> Inner Loops - Rick Booth
    18> Programming Pearls, 2nd ed. - John Bentley
    19> The C Puzzle Book - Feuer (haven't read it either)
    20> Data Structures Using C - Tanenbaum, Langsam

    It's always possible to get more books than you can read.
    However, almost all of the above mentioned ones are, IMHO, classics.
    If you'll be using UNIX/Linux as your development platorm, you should also
    consider getting a few of these books:

    1> Advanced Programming in UNIX Environment - Richard Stevens
    2> UNIX Network Programming, 2nd ed. vol-1,2 - Richard Stevens
    3> TCP/IP Illustrated, vol-1,2,3 - Richard Stevens
    4> The UNIX Programming Environment - Kernighan & Pike
    5> The Art of UNIX Programming - Eric S. Raymond
    6> Linux Kernel Internals - Beck, et al.

    Plus, books on Tcl/Tk, Perl, Python, GCC and Linux API are added advantage.

    > One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more with
    > GNU/Linux?

    It's good for you to start with C. UNIX and Linux are mostly C based operating
    systems, except some C++ code in X clients like KDE. However, it's considered
    bad to stick to any one programming language. To get the most from UNIX or
    Linux systems, you'll have to learn to work with a plethora of utilities,
    shells, scripting languages, interpreters and compiled languages.

    A very happy new year to all of you!
    Regards,
    Manish

    Manish Singh, Dec 31, 2003
  10. "G." <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > During my degree, BEng (Hons) Electronics and Communications Engineering,

    we
    > did C programming every year, but I never kept it up, as I had no interest
    > and didn't see the point. But now I really want to get back into it as I

    see
    > a point with GNU/Linux. I want to get my old skills back and write

    something
    > or help on some projects etc.
    >
    > I need some good books. I used to have one called "A Book On C", but sold
    > it,
    > and I have been reading various tutorials on the web and the many devoted
    > websites.
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more

    with
    > GNU/Linux?
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > - --
    > Regards
    >
    > http://www.magicfx.co.uk
    > http://www.suretecsystems.com

    I keep in my arsenal of C books a very good reference text. It won't teach
    you good programming skills, but it will have information handy when you
    have a good C question. Its organzation of information is very good.

    Harbison, Samuel P., and Guy L. Steele Jr. 'C A reference Manual'. 4th Ed.
    New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1995.

    Michael Steve

    Michael Steve, Jan 1, 2004
  11. G.

    Rod Guest

    Hello there, being a newbie to C and the forum, I've been reading these post
    and have another suggestion for you.
    I am currently on my 2nd year Meng and learning the dreaded C/C++.
    I have some of the books noted and all have been very useful, but here is
    another suggestion that I came across last year, it comes in the from of
    training videos from http://www.vtc.com/uk.php
    The C programming vids are extremely useful, don't rate the C++ though.
    With full working programs and exercises as well as a course project to work
    through it has helped me out when stuck.

    Rod, Jan 3, 2004
  12. G.

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    "Rod" <> writes:

    > I am currently on my 2nd year Meng and learning the dreaded C/C++.

    Really? You'll have to let the rest of us know where we can find
    out more about this language.
    );}return 0;}

    Ben Pfaff, Jan 3, 2004
  13. G.

    tinybyte Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:33:56 -0800, Manish Singh wrote:
    > 6> Linux Kernel Internals - Beck, et al.

    This is outdated! Instead get both this two:
    1) Understanding the Linux Kernel, 2nd Ed.
    by Cesati, Bovet - O'Reilly
    2) IA-64 Linux Kernel: Design and Implementation
    by mosberger, eranian - Prentice Hall

    Then you should read Kernel Traffic at http://kt.zork.net
    and if you're a beginner at kernel hacking subscribe to
    http://www.kernelnewbies.org mailing list.

    Then if you need more, ask elsewhere because this is
    off-topic here! :) try on alt.os.development or comp.unix.internals.

    Bye
    Daniele

    tinybyte, Jan 11, 2004
  14. G.

    Anand Guest

    Hi

    Seen ur qurey. Hope u need sound understanding in c programming. If
    u r interested to improve ur knowledge in c follow this book. "C with
    software Engineering Approach" by Peter A Darnel.

    Cheers!

    Anand.

    Anand, Jan 12, 2004