"A page can have only one server-side Form tag." when NONE exist!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ScottF, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. ScottF

    ScottF Guest

    There was a problem with ASP.Net 1.1 creating/generating bad
    javascript on html pages that I ran into and on the KB page that I had
    found at the time it said that the problem was fixed in the .Net
    Framework 1.1 SP 1.

    So, I ran "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" thus installing that SP and now
    I'm getting this very strange "A page can have only one server-side
    Form tag." error and am wondering if anyone knows how to fix it. The
    thing is, I commented out ALL of the <form> tags on my main
    (Default.aspx) page and I STILL get this @#$#en error.

    I have no clue what to do now because this error makes absolutely no
    sense. Should I uninstall the SP, or... ? The text version of the
    error page I'm getting is;

    Server Error in '/PTa01' Application.

    A page can have only one server-side Form tag.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A page can have only one
    server-side Form tag.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:
    [HttpException (0x80004005): A page can have only one server-side Form
    tag.]
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnFormRender(HtmlTextWriter writer, String
    formUniqueID)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
    ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

    ** end

    Notice how my page (again, Default.aspx) isn't even mentioned in the
    call stack.

    ANY help/ideas appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    -Scott F.

    ScottF, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Well, you do need a Form tag. <grin>

    Did the sp require a reboot?

    Is it possible that this is somehow related to the problem in the files in
    the aspnet_client folder in the service pack?

    http://weblogs.asp.net/pwilson/archive/2004/09/16/230591.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Dec 2, 2004