A question about IHTTPModule and debugging

Kenneth Myhra

Hi,

We have been trying to develop an IHTTPModule (that was supposed to replace
or take over the ISAPI Filters, as far as we know). We have developed one in
C# and it seems to be working. The problem is that it is not working as it
is supposed to work and we *need* to debug it. We made a search on MSDN
already. Either my search keywords were irrelevant (we used <IHTTPModule
debug> and <IHTTPModule debugging>, without the greater and smaller signs.
We got no relevant results).

We have a support deal with Microsoft. We would like to have support on this
issue and we would also like to have more information about how your support
deals/support contracts work (It said 5-pack support. What goes into a pack?
Also what happens after 5? Do we pay per incident? Or can we buy a 5-pack
more? A URL or document that could enlighten us about these questions would
be valuable).

To repeat our real problem: We could not manage to debug an IHTTPModule with
Just-In-Time debugging (meaning debugging from VS.NET with step into and
break points). We would like support on this issue. We can provide further
details (like we tried all 3 Isolation modes in the web application Low,
Medium, Isolated. We tried this and that etc. if you ask for details).

Dennis Homann

Hi Kenneth,

I never had problems debugging IHttpModules so far. If your breakpoint does
not work
this indicates that either the module is never loaded, the debugger is not
attached to
the application, or the code containing your breakpoint is never executed.

Make sure you have
1. configured your IHttpModule in web.config (httpModules section)
2. compiled your module in Debug mode
3. started the web app from within VS using "Debug" or attached the debugger
to the ASP.NET worker process after starting the app

Then, try to set a breakpoint in "void Init(HttpApplication context)". If it
still doesn't work, may you can give us a minimal code example of
what you're doing along with httpModules part of your web.config.

Kenneth Myhra

Thanks Dennis, the problem was that I didn't manually attach to the asp .net
worker process, now it works.

-Kenneth