a11y & python

jonathon

All:

A year or so ago, I read a tutorial on writing self-voicing apps using
python. It also covered other a11y issues.
However, I didn't bookmark it, and it doesn't show up in the first
1000 hits on the Google search I did.

Can somebody point me to either that, or any other tutorials on
programming a11y into python.

###

This was triggered by a request by my housemate for a self-voicing
program that does household inventory control, that can print to
Braille.

xan

jonathon

Steven D'Aprano

All:

A year or so ago, I read a tutorial on writing self-voicing apps using
python. It also covered other a11y issues. However, I didn't bookmark
it, and it doesn't show up in the first 1000 hits on the Google search I
did.

While Google is very good, it's not perfect, nor is it the only search
engine out there. Perhaps try some of the others, like Yahoo.

Can somebody point me to either that, or any other tutorials on
programming a11y into python.

I'm afraid I'd be limited to googling.

I'm guessing that you'd probably have more success asking on ally mailing
lists (if any) for Python help than asking Python lists for ally help.
But good luck.

Have you checked out this? http://live.gnome.org/Orca

jonathon

I'm guessing that you'd probably have more success asking on ally mailing lists

I'm on a couple of a11y mailing lists.
My experience with them has been, "disappointing".
Have you checked out this? http://live.gnome.org/Orca

Not cross platform. :(

I want to use python, precisely because it is cross-platform.
(If it was Windows only, Net 3.0 has most, if not all of the needed libraries.)
(I could try rewriting Orca in python, and from that construct the
required python libraries.)

xan

jonathon