Python library/module for MSAccess

Jonathon Blake

All:

I thought I had seen a python library/module that easily enabled one
to read / write / create MSAccess databases a couple of years ago.
[My impression is that the Jet Database engine was _not_ required.]

Now, I can't find it, or any reference to such a library or module.
[I used google, and the module search tools on python.

Can somebody point me to an MSAccess library/module that does that?

xan

jonathon

Scott David Daniels

Jonathon said:
I thought I had seen a python library/module that easily enabled one
to read / write / create MSAccess databases a couple of years ago.
[My impression is that the Jet Database engine was _not_ required.]

Access is a generalized I/O to databases. THe normal default DB _is_
the Jet Database engine. Easiest access for me is through the
win32 module 'odbc'.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Jonathon Blake

Scott said:
the Jet Database engine. Easiest access for me is through the win32 module 'odbc'.

Thanks

That is going to make my job a lot rougher than I expected.
[ Editing/creating msaccess databases on a Linux Box, and WINE _not_ installed.]

xan

jonathon

Stephen Prinster

Jonathon said:
[ Editing/creating msaccess databases on a Linux Box, and WINE _not_ installed.]

I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you are wanting to do. You say
you have "msaccess databases on a Linux Box" and you are not using the
Jet Database engine. As far as I know, MS Access is just a front-end to
databases, with Jet as the default backend (though it can connect to
many others). What backend database engine/storage format are you
using? There might be a python library for connecting to it, bypassing
Access altogether.

Christos Georgiou

Jonathon said:
[ Editing/creating msaccess databases on a Linux Box, and WINE _not_ installed.]

I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you are wanting to do. You say
you have "msaccess databases on a Linux Box" and you are not using the
Jet Database engine. As far as I know, MS Access is just a front-end to
databases, with Jet as the default backend (though it can connect to
many others). What backend database engine/storage format are you
using? There might be a python library for connecting to it, bypassing
Access altogether.

I think the OP wants to *use* .mdb files on a linux system without using
any msjet*.dll libraries.

There is a (C language) project that can read .mdb databases-- it can't
write them yet.[1]

[1] http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

Alessandro Bottoni

Dennis Lee Bieber

Jonathon said:
[ Editing/creating msaccess databases on a Linux Box, and WINE _not_ installed.]

I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you are wanting to do. You say
you have "msaccess databases on a Linux Box" and you are not using the
Jet Database engine. As far as I know, MS Access is just a front-end to
databases, with Jet as the default backend (though it can connect to
many others). What backend database engine/storage format are you
using? There might be a python library for connecting to it, bypassing
Access altogether.

Aye... Access is really just a GUI for report/form design. ".mdb"
files are storage for three (four) things: Access reports, forms, (VBA
code modules), and JET relations (tables). Access "data projects" are
basically the first three hooked to SQL Server (and maybe other) data
storage.

The common engine is JET.