Aaron - CDO..(again)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi Aaron,

    Soz to start a new thread, wasn't sure if you'd have spotted another entry
    to the last one...

    Regarding your post ..

    "CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if
    you
    are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
    2000."

    I know this is a MS group -so you might not be able to answer this one - but
    a hosting company that I've used (and now a colleague is also using) uses
    Chillisoft ASP - along time back they used to be a few scripting versions
    behind the MS version, I have no idea these days as I've turned MS! :eek:)

    Just wondering about the emails though - ie, whether the CDO instead of
    CDONTS will be ok on a non MS box?

    You suggested using the server_software server variable to detect the OS etc
    and gave examples in the FAQ etc, but any thoughts on a non MS server?

    Again, I know this is a MS group - so appologies if this is deemed 'off
    topic'...

    Thanks in advance for any further help.

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Rob Meade

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Why don't you ask the hosting company? That'd probably be the quickest way
    to get an answer -or- just a Chilisoft newsgroup...

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Rob Meade" <> wrote in message
    : Hi Aaron,
    :

    Ken Schaefer, Nov 28, 2003

  3. I don't think you can use CDO or CDONTS in a ChiliSoft server, so the point
    about testing the server OS becomes irrelevant. But, as Ken points out, ask
    the host. All my servers are Windows, so the best I could offer is hearsay.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Nov 30, 2003
  4. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

    > I don't think you can use CDO or CDONTS in a ChiliSoft server, so the

    point
    > about testing the server OS becomes irrelevant. But, as Ken points out,

    ask
    > the host. All my servers are Windows, so the best I could offer is

    hearsay.

    Hi Aaron,

    Thanks for the reply - I have spoken to the host and they mention that
    neither CDONTS or CDO are supported - which makes my ASP form handler
    completely a Windows based item now - booooo...

    Anyway, thanks again for the replies...

    Regards

    Rob

    PS : www.aspdotnetfaq.com - appears to have been taken - but will we be
    seeing any dot net stuff appearing in the ASP FAQ or sister/brother sites?

    Rob Meade, Dec 1, 2003
  5. > PS : www.aspdotnetfaq.com - appears to have been taken - but will we be
    > seeing any dot net stuff appearing in the ASP FAQ or sister/brother sites?

    Not in the near future, no.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" wrote ...

    > Not in the near future, no.

    hehe - too busy?

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 1, 2003
  7. > hehe - too busy?

    More about lack of interest. Dabbled in ASP.Net a bit for perfhound, but
    find it rather slow and very cumbersome to develop.

    ..Net development in general, I like... in our shop, our C# apps are much
    more stable (and faster to market) than their Java predecessors ... but I
    have yet to figure out the advantage of moving to ASP.Net.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" wrote ...

    > More about lack of interest. Dabbled in ASP.Net a bit for perfhound, but
    > find it rather slow and very cumbersome to develop.

    I'm struggling with it too - we're moving to it at work for all of our new
    apps - its certainly not a 'just bash it out' approach as asp can be :eek:/

    > .Net development in general, I like... in our shop, our C# apps are much
    > more stable (and faster to market) than their Java predecessors ... but I
    > have yet to figure out the advantage of moving to ASP.Net.

    Well be guaranteed if you do - and you create another FAQ I'll probably be
    your first visitor!!! :eek:D

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 2, 2003