Aaron - CDO..(again)

Rob Meade

Hi Aaron,

Soz to start a new thread, wasn't sure if you'd have spotted another entry
to the last one...

Regarding your post ..

"CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if
you
are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
2000."

I know this is a MS group -so you might not be able to answer this one - but
a hosting company that I've used (and now a colleague is also using) uses
Chillisoft ASP - along time back they used to be a few scripting versions
behind the MS version, I have no idea these days as I've turned MS! :eek:)

Just wondering about the emails though - ie, whether the CDO instead of
CDONTS will be ok on a non MS box?

You suggested using the server_software server variable to detect the OS etc
and gave examples in the FAQ etc, but any thoughts on a non MS server?

Again, I know this is a MS group - so appologies if this is deemed 'off
topic'...

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Regards

Rob

Ken Schaefer

Why don't you ask the hosting company? That'd probably be the quickest way
to get an answer -or- just a Chilisoft newsgroup...

Cheers
Ken

: Hi Aaron,
:
[...]

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I don't think you can use CDO or CDONTS in a ChiliSoft server, so the point
about testing the server OS becomes irrelevant. But, as Ken points out, ask
the host. All my servers are Windows, so the best I could offer is hearsay.

Rob Meade

I don't think you can use CDO or CDONTS in a ChiliSoft server, so the point
about testing the server OS becomes irrelevant. But, as Ken points out, ask
the host. All my servers are Windows, so the best I could offer is
hearsay.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply - I have spoken to the host and they mention that
neither CDONTS or CDO are supported - which makes my ASP form handler
completely a Windows based item now - booooo...

Anyway, thanks again for the replies...

Regards

Rob

PS : www.aspdotnetfaq.com - appears to have been taken - but will we be
seeing any dot net stuff appearing in the ASP FAQ or sister/brother sites?

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

hehe - too busy?

More about lack of interest. Dabbled in ASP.Net a bit for perfhound, but
find it rather slow and very cumbersome to develop.

..Net development in general, I like... in our shop, our C# apps are much
more stable (and faster to market) than their Java predecessors ... but I
have yet to figure out the advantage of moving to ASP.Net.

Rob Meade

More about lack of interest. Dabbled in ASP.Net a bit for perfhound, but
find it rather slow and very cumbersome to develop.

I'm struggling with it too - we're moving to it at work for all of our new
apps - its certainly not a 'just bash it out' approach as asp can be :eek:/
.Net development in general, I like... in our shop, our C# apps are much
more stable (and faster to market) than their Java predecessors ... but I
have yet to figure out the advantage of moving to ASP.Net.

Well be guaranteed if you do - and you create another FAQ I'll probably be
your first visitor!!! :eek:D

Regards

Rob