"about:blank" oepns new browser window

sid

"about:blank" oepns new browser window

I am writing a webpage that will run on other machines that I may or
may not know about. My page is framed where frame1 controls the
content of frame2.

What I have found is that if the page in Frame2 fails to load and I
get an error page. when I detect an error page I want to set
frame2.location.href = "about:blank" and then write a temp error page
until the server becomes available again. The problem is that the
security on some systems causes the "about:blank" to open a new
browser window. I don't want a new window. Is there anyway to detect
that the system is opening up a new window as opposed to the existing
frame ?

Can my script test for the security setting on another frame, to see
if the security is 'restricted' no matter where the security was set,
either in the declaration of the frame or the security tab of IE ?

Thanks

Eli.

sid

sid said the following on 5/22/2007 2:54 PM:

No. You can't test for security settings. Think about what you are
asking though. A user has a particular Security Setting and you are
asking how to circumvent that Setting. Think about it.

Then, instead of using about:blank use a blank file that you can cache
so it is available if the server is down.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Thanks for the suggestion,

That seems to aleviate the problem with new browser windows poping up
all the time, but it seems that it does not always try to load the
empty page from cache. Is there any way that I can force this ? I am
simply setting the href the that equal to that of the empty frame.
Main.location.href = "empty.htm" when I detect an error.
Is there a better way to do it ?

Thanks

Eli.

Darko

Thanks for the suggestion,

That seems to aleviate the problem with new browser windows poping up
all the time, but it seems that it does not always try to load the
empty page from cache. Is there any way that I can force this ? I am
simply setting the href the that equal to that of the empty frame.
Main.location.href = "empty.htm" when I detect an error.
Is there a better way to do it ?

Thanks

Eli.

How do you detect if the other frame failed to load, anyway? Another
question, if you get an error screen, at least in firefox, that frame
can't be easily set an address - window.top.other_frame.location is
inaccessible...

sid

How do you detect if the other frame failed to load, anyway? Another
question, if you get an error screen, at least in firefox, that frame
can't be easily set an address - window.top.other_frame.location is
inaccessible...- Hide quoted text -

When the frame loads it fires ".. onload='Main1_OnLoad1()' .. " set
in the frame tag.
then check the contents, either its blank "" or the script can read
something from the page "Action Cancelled". if the frame loaded from a
foreign domain you can not read the location.href, but you can set it.

Eli.