    When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?

    More generally, does anyone know or have any sources on when the different
    features were introduced into object oriented programming?
    Martin, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Martin wrote:

    > When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?
    >
    > More generally, does anyone know or have any sources on when the different
    > features were introduced into object oriented programming?

    No idea. But this is not a C++ question, therefore is not topical on
    this group.

    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?
    >
    > More generally, does anyone know or have any sources on when the different
    > features were introduced into object oriented programming?

    The late Professor Ole Johan Dahl, (co-inventor of SIMULA), had drafted a
    design for multiple
    inheritance supposedly already in 1966, but archived it since it stood in
    the way of automatic
    garbage collection which was an important feature of SIMULA. If I remember
    correctly, Bjarne
    Stroustrup based the multiple inheritance design of C++ on Mr. Dahl's
    seminal work. (He mentions
    this in his excellent "Design & Evolution of C++").

    The first SIMULA compiler released in 67, (or was it 69), had inheritance
    implemented. (Btw.
    SIMULA had another neat feature called co-routines which I think Mr.
    Stroustrup contemplated
    for C++.

    Regards Martin
    Martin, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Martin

    jeffc Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?

    That is a hard question to answer. By definition, object-oriented
    programming implies inheritance, so object-oriented programming didn't exist
    until inheritance was invented.
    jeffc, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Martin

    red floyd Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > The first SIMULA compiler released in 67, (or was it 69), had inheritance
    > implemented. (Btw.
    > SIMULA had another neat feature called co-routines which I think Mr.
    > Stroustrup contemplated
    > for C++.

    Well, when I used Simula, the book I learned it from called it "Simula 67", so
    I'd assume it was 67.
    red floyd, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Off Topic: About object oriented programming

    Martin wrote:

    > When was inheritance introduced into object oriented programming?
    >
    > More generally, does anyone know or have any sources
    > on when the different features
    > were introduced into object oriented programming?

    This is off-topic in the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.
    It would probably be better to post it
    to the comp.object newsgroup instead.

    I used Google

    http://www.google.com/

    to search for

    +"object oriented" +"Alan Kay" +"coined"

    Alan Kay coined the term object oriented
    to describe his new computer programming language Smalltalk
    and *not* to classify computer programming languages.

    I used Google to search for

    +"object oriented" +"Simula" +"invented"

    The first object oriented computer programming language
    was Simula invented by Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard
    at the Norwegian Computing Center, Oslo, Norway
    long before Alan Kay coined the term object oriented.

    Experts use different sets of language features
    to distinguish object oriented computer programming languages
    from all other computer programming languages.
    One of these experts is Bjarne Stroustrup.
    I used Google to search for

    +"define object oriented" +"Bjarne Stroustrup"

    and I found

    Why C++ is not just an Object-Oriented Programming Language

    at

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/oopsla.pdf

    The term "object oriented" means different things to different people
    and has different meanings depending upon context --
    object oriented computer programming languages,
    object oriented computer program design and analysis or
    the implementation of computer programs.
    For some object oriented programmers,
    it is simply a synonym for "good programming practice".
    For most object oriented programmers,
    it is synonymous with the implementation of Abstract Data Types (ADTs).
    For a smaller fraction of object oriented programmers,
    it is about what Alan Kay calls messaging -- run-time polymorphism or
    dynamic (late) binding -- exclusively.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Sep 11, 2003