About object oriented programming

Martin

When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?

More generally, does anyone know or have any sources on when the different
features were introduced into object oriented programming?

Martin

Martin said:
When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?

More generally, does anyone know or have any sources on when the different
features were introduced into object oriented programming?

The late Professor Ole Johan Dahl, (co-inventor of SIMULA), had drafted a
design for multiple
inheritance supposedly already in 1966, but archived it since it stood in
the way of automatic
garbage collection which was an important feature of SIMULA. If I remember
correctly, Bjarne
Stroustrup based the multiple inheritance design of C++ on Mr. Dahl's
seminal work. (He mentions
this in his excellent "Design & Evolution of C++").

The first SIMULA compiler released in 67, (or was it 69), had inheritance
implemented. (Btw.
SIMULA had another neat feature called co-routines which I think Mr.
Stroustrup contemplated
for C++.

Regards Martin

jeffc

Martin said:
When was inheritance intruduced into object oriented programming?

That is a hard question to answer. By definition, object-oriented
programming implies inheritance, so object-oriented programming didn't exist
until inheritance was invented.

red floyd

Martin said:
The first SIMULA compiler released in 67, (or was it 69), had inheritance
implemented. (Btw.
SIMULA had another neat feature called co-routines which I think Mr.
Stroustrup contemplated
for C++.

Well, when I used Simula, the book I learned it from called it "Simula 67", so
I'd assume it was 67.

E. Robert Tisdale

Martin said:
When was inheritance introduced into object oriented programming?

More generally, does anyone know or have any sources
on when the different features
were introduced into object oriented programming?

This is off-topic in the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.
It would probably be better to post it
to the comp.object newsgroup instead.

I used Google

http://www.google.com/

to search for

+"object oriented" +"Alan Kay" +"coined"

Alan Kay coined the term object oriented
to describe his new computer programming language Smalltalk
and *not* to classify computer programming languages.

I used Google to search for

+"object oriented" +"Simula" +"invented"

The first object oriented computer programming language
was Simula invented by Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard
at the Norwegian Computing Center, Oslo, Norway
long before Alan Kay coined the term object oriented.

Experts use different sets of language features
to distinguish object oriented computer programming languages
from all other computer programming languages.
One of these experts is Bjarne Stroustrup.
I used Google to search for

+"define object oriented" +"Bjarne Stroustrup"

and I found

Why C++ is not just an Object-Oriented Programming Language

at

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/oopsla.pdf

The term "object oriented" means different things to different people
and has different meanings depending upon context --
object oriented computer programming languages,
object oriented computer program design and analysis or
the implementation of computer programs.
For some object oriented programmers,
it is simply a synonym for "good programming practice".
For most object oriented programmers,
it is synonymous with the implementation of Abstract Data Types (ADTs).
For a smaller fraction of object oriented programmers,
it is about what Alan Kay calls messaging -- run-time polymorphism or
dynamic (late) binding -- exclusively.