about tomcat context

david wolf

I am using tomcat to try to host some html and jsp files. What happened
is that: I create a dir under tomcat_home/webapps, the dir is
tomcat_home/webapps/tst

Then I put a file called abc.html under this tst dir, I cannot see the
file after restart tomcat ( I mean I cannot use
http://hostname:port/tst/abc.html to see the content of the page)

What I have to do to make it work is that:

I need to put a file call tst.xml under this followin dir (actully I
just copy another arbitrary .xml under this dir as this tst.xml)
/home/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localhost

Can anyone give me help to let me know that why I have to have this
tst.xml?

If I really need this file, what I'd better put in this file?

Thanks,

David

sdavids

Well the default location for the webserver is in the ROOT directory
under the webapps, in order for you to change the default directory you
will need to change the server.xml file located: Tomcat
5.5\conf\server.xml - - open up the file and look for this block of
code:

<Engine
name="Catalina">
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"/>
<Host
appBase="webapps"
name="localhost">