Access to comp.lang.python

cjw

This isn't about Python but I'm seeking suggestions as to the best way
to access the newsgroup.

It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
gmane and google groups.

The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
merge process, the server or my reader.

Would it be better to go to gmane, google groups or some such provider.

In the past, use of Ctrl K had neatly disposed of thread that are of no
interest.

I would welcome advice.

Colin W.

Terry Reedy

This isn't about Python but I'm seeking suggestions as to the best way
to access the newsgroup.

It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
gmane and google groups.

The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

Some people have said that that is due to newreaders not tagging
I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
merge process, the server or my reader.

Would it be better to go to gmane, google groups or some such provider.

I believe some spam (like from Google accounts) is filtered out between
c.l.p and python-list. Gmane mirrors python-list, not c.l.p., so it gets
the benefit of the filtering. You can see from the headers that that is
where I post from.

tjr

Aahz

Some people have said that that is due to newreaders not tagging

It's also at least partly due to problems with mail<->news gateways and
the differing fields used to maintain threading.

cjw

Some blame goes on MUAs too :)

Thanks for the responses.

Is it possible to connect a newsreader to gmane? Or is web access required?

Is Thunderbird known to have problems?

Colin W

Jim Byrnes

Grant said:
nntp://news.gmane.org/

Could someone please explain how to subscribe to this list on gmane. I
subscribe to a couple of other groups there but can't find this one.

Regards, Jim

Robert Kern

Could someone please explain how to subscribe to this list on gmane. I
subscribe to a couple of other groups there but can't find this one.

It's name on GMane is gmane.comp.python.general

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

cjw

Could someone please explain how to subscribe to this list on gmane. I
subscribe to a couple of other groups there but can't find this one.

Regards, Jim

With Thunderbird, you need to set up a new account:

Tools => AccountSettings => Account Actions => Add another account.

=> News Group Account => Next

From there, it's a matter of filling in the blanks.

The news server is "news.gmane.org".

I'm just trying it.

Colin W,

Tim Chase

It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
gmane and google groups.

The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
merge process, the server or my reader.

While others have told you about using gmane or other sources
(direct email, etc), I haven't seen anything fly by regarding the
"unlinked from their threads" portion of your question.
Thunderbird 2.0 -> 3.0 changed the default value for
mail.strict_threading from False to True. Pulling up the config
editor (essentially the about:config, buried in the
options->advanced stuff, I think; or perhaps I have the
"about:config" plugin to do that) allows you to toggle this value
back to "True". This setting controls whether threads are
defined *only* by the mail header (strict=True), or whether TB
also tries to guess based on the Subject header (strict=False).

Toggle it (and perhaps restart TB?) and see if that helps rectify
the threading. There are a lot of folks here on c.l.p that use
broken newsreaders that don't correctly set news/threading headers.

-tkc

Terry Reedy

While others have told you about using gmane or other sources (direct
email, etc), I haven't seen anything fly by regarding the "unlinked from
their threads" portion of your question. Thunderbird 2.0 -> 3.0 changed
the default value for mail.strict_threading from False to True. Pulling
up the config editor (essentially the about:config, buried in the
options->advanced stuff, I think; or perhaps I have the "about:config"
plugin to do that) allows you to toggle this value back to "True". This
setting controls whether threads are defined *only* by the mail header
(strict=True), or whether TB also tries to guess based on the Subject
header (strict=False).

I solved the problem for me, well enough, by sorting threads by subject
instead of 'Date' (actually, time) so that disconnect threads sort
together anyway.

cjw

[...]

Thanks, mine is already set to "true".

Colin W.