    Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

    Thanks in advance,

    ~Sean

    Sean DiZazzo, Sep 4, 2008

  2. Sean DiZazzo

    Larry Bates Guest

    Sean DiZazzo wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    > on a Windows box via Python. I thought of a few hacks that might
    > partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" Seems
    > like the right way to go. I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    > nothing slapped me in the face.
    >
    > Is there any reliable way to get at that info?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > ~Sean

    I would guess that that program gets the information from the registry.
    Maybe looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software branches?

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Sep 4, 2008

  3. En Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:51:59 -0300, Sean DiZazzo <>
    escribi�:

    > I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    > on a Windows box via Python. I thought of a few hacks that might
    > partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs" Seems
    > like the right way to go. I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    > nothing slapped me in the face.
    >
    > Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

    You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    --
    Gabriel Genellina

    Gabriel Genellina, Sep 4, 2008
  4. Sean DiZazzo

    Sean DiZazzo Guest

    On Sep 3, 7:13 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <> wrote:
    > En Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:51:59 -0300, Sean DiZazzo <>
    > escribi :
    >
    > > I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    > > on a Windows box via Python.  I thought of a few hacks that might
    > > partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs"  Seems
    > > like the right way to go.  I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    > > nothing slapped me in the face.

    > > Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

    > You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    >
    > --
    > Gabriel Genellina

    Thank both of you. Perfect!

    ~Sean

    Sean DiZazzo, Sep 4, 2008
  5. On Sep 3, 9:41 pm, Sean DiZazzo <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 7:13 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <> wrote:
    >

    > > En Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:51:59 -0300, Sean DiZazzo <>
    > > escribi :

    > > > I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all the installed programs
    > > > on a Windows box via Python.  I thought of a few hacks that might
    > > > partially work, and then thought about "Add/Remove Programs"  Seems
    > > > like the right way to go.  I looked over the pywin32 docs a bit, but
    > > > nothing slapped me in the face.

    > > > Is there any reliable way to get at that info?

    > > You may enumerate the entries under this registry key:
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    > > --
    > > Gabriel Genellina

    > Thank both of you.  Perfect!
    >
    > ~Sean

    I have used both of these methods, but it should be noted that not all
    programs register themselves in the registry. The usual suspects are
    spyware related. But there are still a few programs that you can just
    download and unzip that don't write anything to the registry.

    But this does work for probably 99% of programs on Windows.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Sep 4, 2008