Accessing/Dowloading certain filetypes...

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Brandon, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Running IIS 6, Classic ASP
    Browser: IE and/or Mozilla

    I have an application that allows users to store documents on my server.
    When they need to access/download the documents, my application copies their
    document to a staging directory (because they're renamed to a unique filename
    for storage), then Respons.redirect()'ed to the staged file for download.

    This works great for most files(.doc,.xls,.psd,.pdf). However, I have
    discovered that for certain filetypes (.asp, .exe, .xfdl), the user gets a
    message box with the message "Internet Explorer cannot download myfile.xfdl
    from www.mysite.com. Internet Explorer was unable to open this Internet
    site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please
    try again later."

    I have looked on the server, and the file is actually there. IIS just will
    not let the user access/download it.

    Mozilla downloads an htm page with a "page cannot be found" error.

    Any thoughts? I have the directory established as its own application and
    set not to execute anything -- so it shouldn't be confusing it with a
    script/app.

    Thank you all,

    Brandon
    Brandon, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Brandon

    Randy Guest

    I have the same problem with pst and WordPerfect files (I know, I'm sorry,
    but the customer uses it).

    All other downloads work fine. I would prefer for the "Open/Save/Cancel"
    window to come open, but all I get is "Page not found" errors. Like you I
    know the document is there and I can type in the URL for the Word document
    right next to it that document appears no problem.

    I'll post back if I find anything,
    Randy

    Randy, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Brandon

    Jevon Guest

    It's probably because it's an unknown MIME type. You'll need to add it
    manually in the website properties->HTTP Headers->MIME Types window.

    Jevon

    Jevon, Jan 18, 2006