Active State

timgerr

I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box. I am using Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can search the repositories but I need mods from CPAN. I know how to add repositories but I do not know the location to the CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

Any help would be great.

gerr

Matt Garrish

timgerr said:
I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box.
I am using Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can
search the repositories but I need mods from CPAN. I know
how to add repositories but I do not know the location to the
CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

Please post plain-text messages to usenet, not html.

the information you provided. You never said what modules you're trying to
install or even what additional repositories you've added. Have you added
the University of Winnipeg server? (I forget the url off-hand, but it is in
the documentation) Have you tried googling for a ppd file? Have the modules
been tested (and passed) on Windows?

Matt

Bob Walton

timgerr said:
I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box. I am using
Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can search the repositories
but I need mods from CPAN. I know how to add repositories but I do not
know the location to the CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

Well, if the module isn't available though the default PPM repository,
it's because ActiveState hasn't ported it. Maybe that's because they
didn't get to that module yet, or maybe the module didn't pass its tests
or otherwise work properly when ported.

http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-A.html

might be illuminating. If you really want a particular package on CPAN,
you can follow the directions there to directly build the package and
see how you make out. For some packages a C compiler is required (and,
generally, it should be the same C compiler and libraries as was used to
compile Perl).

You can also try alternative PPM repositories. Googling for them finds
lots. The one at the University of Winnipeg might be worth a look.

timgerr

Sorry for the lack of information. I am trying to get the Device::Modem http://search.cpan.org/~cosimo/Device-Modem-1.36/docs/Modem.pod

and
Device::SerialPort

I am not sure how to install them by hand and wanted to use PPM.

Thanks

--
TIM GALLAGHER

timgerr said:
Sorry for the lack of information. I am trying to get the Device::Modem
http://search.cpan.org/~cosimo/Device-Modem-1.36/docs/Modem.pod
and Device::SerialPort

For one, you don't want Device::SerialPort. Please read the faq:

What are the requisites of Device::Modem?

You must have:

- A working computer with a standard RS-232 serial port
- An AT-compliant device (a modem will do perfectly here :)
- A working Perl installation
- Device::SerialPort module installed if you are on some unix platform.
Win32::SerialPort module installed if you are on Win32 platform.

Sounds like if you install Win32::SerialPort you can probably just download
the source and save it to your lib directory. Device::Modem is just a layer
on top of that module.

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Win32-SerialPort.ppd

Matt