    I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box. I am using Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can search the repositories but I need mods from CPAN. I know how to add repositories but I do not know the location to the CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

    Any help would be great.

    gerr

    timgerr, Jul 8, 2004

  2. timgerr

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "timgerr" <> wrote in message
    news:ccjjkj$cre$...
    > I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box.
    > I am using Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can
    > search the repositories but I need mods from CPAN. I know
    > how to add repositories but I do not know the location to the
    > CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

    Please post plain-text messages to usenet, not html.

    the information you provided. You never said what modules you're trying to
    install or even what additional repositories you've added. Have you added
    the University of Winnipeg server? (I forget the url off-hand, but it is in
    the documentation) Have you tried googling for a ppd file? Have the modules
    been tested (and passed) on Windows?

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jul 9, 2004

  3. timgerr

    Bob Walton Guest

    timgerr wrote:

    > I am new to Perl and I need to get some mods on my W32 box. I am using
    > Active State Perl with the command PPM. I can search the repositories
    > but I need mods from CPAN. I know how to add repositories but I do not
    > know the location to the CPAN Mods that needs to be entered into PPM.

    Well, if the module isn't available though the default PPM repository,
    it's because ActiveState hasn't ported it. Maybe that's because they
    didn't get to that module yet, or maybe the module didn't pass its tests
    or otherwise work properly when ported.

    http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-A.html

    might be illuminating. If you really want a particular package on CPAN,
    you can follow the directions there to directly build the package and
    see how you make out. For some packages a C compiler is required (and,
    generally, it should be the same C compiler and libraries as was used to
    compile Perl).

    You can also try alternative PPM repositories. Googling for them finds
    lots. The one at the University of Winnipeg might be worth a look.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Jul 9, 2004
  4. timgerr

    timgerr Guest

    Sorry for the lack of information. I am trying to get the Device::Modem http://search.cpan.org/~cosimo/Device-Modem-1.36/docs/Modem.pod

    and
    Device::SerialPort

    I am not sure how to install them by hand and wanted to use PPM.

    Thanks

    --
    TIM GALLAGHER

    timgerr, Jul 9, 2004
  5. timgerr

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "timgerr" <> wrote in message

    > Sorry for the lack of information. I am trying to get the Device::Modem
    > http://search.cpan.org/~cosimo/Device-Modem-1.36/docs/Modem.pod
    > and Device::SerialPort

    For one, you don't want Device::SerialPort. Please read the faq:

    What are the requisites of Device::Modem?

    You must have:

    - A working computer with a standard RS-232 serial port
    - An AT-compliant device (a modem will do perfectly here :)
    - A working Perl installation
    - Device::SerialPort module installed if you are on some unix platform.
    Win32::SerialPort module installed if you are on Win32 platform.

    Sounds like if you install Win32::SerialPort you can probably just download
    the source and save it to your lib directory. Device::Modem is just a layer
    on top of that module.

    ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Win32-SerialPort.ppd

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jul 9, 2004