[ADV] The Ruport Book : Your guide to mastering Ruby Reports

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. Hi folks,

    I am pleased to announce that Mike Milner and I have finished the
    Ruport Book. We have published it under our own company (Rinara Press
    LLC) through Lulu.

    With the help of the Ruport community, we've refined the book over the
    last few weeks to meet the needs of our users. We think it will be a
    great help to anyone trying to learn how to do reporting in Ruby /
    Rails using Ruport.

    The book is split up into three parts. It starts with a tutorial
    introduction to Ruport that's suitable for beginners. It then dives
    into some real world use of Ruport and its supporting libraries in a
    simple Rails 2 app I've been working on for a mid-size dental office.
    Finally, we round it off with a series of quick reference cheatsheets
    which were developed based on common questions Ruport users have.

    So far, we've heard a lot of positive things about this format, and it
    seems to be helping our users a whole lot.

    == Get it ==

    You can see the HTML formatted book here:

    http://ruportbook.com/outline.html

    You can also see a full preview of what the PDF and printed book look
    like on Lulu:

    http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=1700117

    At 160 pages, it is certainly the most comprehensive documentation on
    Ruport out there. If you'd like to buy a PDF or Print copy, you can
    do so here:

    http://www.lulu.com/content/1700117

    == More Information ==

    This book is open source! It is released under the very permissive

    Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license, so we hope this
    will make contributing to the book or reusing parts of its content as
    easy as possible for you.

    We also are donating 25% of our revenues to Engineers Without Borders,
    USA to help improve the quality of life in developing countries
    worldwide. This is one way we're taking advantage of the
    self-publishing model, and we hope that in a few months we'll be able
    to send a large donation their way.

    Finally, because this effort has mostly been something Mike and I have
    put forth in our spare time with help from the community, we're
    relying primarily on word of mouth to market the book. If you enjoy
    it, please tell your friends. If you don't, please email us and tell
    us why. :)

    You can keep an eye on http://ruportbook.blogspot.com/ for further
    announcements, but we hope you enjoy the book, and that it is helpful
    to you.

    -greg & mike

    Gregory Brown, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Gregory Brown

    Chris Lowis Guest

    Chris Lowis, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Re: The Ruport Book : Your guide to mastering Ruby Reports

    On Jan 16, 4:24 am, Chris Lowis <> wrote:
    > > You can see the HTML formatted book here:

    > >http://ruportbook.com/outline.html

    > This looks great ! Just to let you know, there seems to be some broken
    > links to images in the HTML version of the book, e.g.http://ruportbook.com/weekly_report.pngon the pagehttp://ruportbook.com/payr_formatting_2.html.

    This should be fixed now, thanks.

    If you run into other issues with the book, you can report them in our
    trac:

    http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/ruport-doc

    -greg

    Gregory Brown, Jan 16, 2008