    Hi,

    Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

    Thanks
    Fernando, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Fernando wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?
    >
    > Thanks

    "advanced" and "tutorial" are sort of opposites, aren't they?

    There's plenty of metaclass materials, e.g. my slides on "Python
    Metaclasses" from Europython are downloadable as PDF from a link at:

    http://www.strakt.com/dev_talks.html

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Nov 4, 2003

  3. (Fernando) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?
    >
    > Thanks

    Alex's slides are more "advanced"; if you want something more "tutorial"
    see

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pymeta.html
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pymeta2/

    Finally, there are Guido's essays

    http://www.python.org/2.2.2/descrintro.html
    http://www.python.org/doc/essays/metaclasses/

    which I would read after the other references given here.

    Michele Simionato
    Michele Simionato, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Fernando

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On 4 Nov 2003 10:33:34 -0800, (Fernando)
    wrote:
    > Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

    You've been given some Python specific material.

    Other sources on metaclasses in general can be found at the
    portal for all thinks OO at

    http://www.cetus-links.org/

    Also in the excellent OO FAQ, look under Basics at
    sections 1.4 and 1.6.

    http://www.objectfaq.com/

    Also most Smalltalk tutors have a section on metaclasses
    and their use - a very common technique in Smalltalk...

    And finally there is the hard to find but excellent Metaclass
    book by Forman & Danforth.

    HTH,

    Alan g.
    Author of the Learn to Program website