Advanced OOP tutorial

Fernando

Hi,

Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

Thanks

Alex Martelli

Fernando said:
Hi,

Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

Thanks

"advanced" and "tutorial" are sort of opposites, aren't they?

There's plenty of metaclass materials, e.g. my slides on "Python
Metaclasses" from Europython are downloadable as PDF from a link at:

http://www.strakt.com/dev_talks.html

Alex

Michele Simionato

Hi,

Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

Thanks

Alex's slides are more "advanced"; if you want something more "tutorial"
see

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pymeta.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pymeta2/

Finally, there are Guido's essays

http://www.python.org/2.2.2/descrintro.html
http://www.python.org/doc/essays/metaclasses/

which I would read after the other references given here.

Michele Simionato

Alan Gauld

Is there any advanced OOP tutorial that cover metaclass programming?

You've been given some Python specific material.

Other sources on metaclasses in general can be found at the
portal for all thinks OO at

http://www.cetus-links.org/

Also in the excellent OO FAQ, look under Basics at
sections 1.4 and 1.6.

http://www.objectfaq.com/

Also most Smalltalk tutors have a section on metaclasses
and their use - a very common technique in Smalltalk...

And finally there is the hard to find but excellent Metaclass
book by Forman & Danforth.

HTH,

Alan g.
Author of the Learn to Program website