Advice needed: Switch from IT to Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andy2005, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Andy2005

    Andy2005 Guest

    Hey guys,

    I'm an IT professional. Working full-time the field and I've been
    thinking of switching over to Java Software Development. I have a
    computer science degree which I finished 5 years ago and I haven't
    touched programming since.

    My questions are as follows, would apperciate your input on the
    matter:
    1 - How long would it take to get certified in Java doing it part-time
    (evenings, some weekends)
    2 - Given that I have no programming work experience, how difficult
    would it be to find a job based solely on the certificate
    3 - What's it like to program for a living? does it require endless
    focus
    4 - The hours in IT can be bad - there's always something out of hours
    to do and overtime is common. What's it like in the world of Java
    programming?

    Thank you for going through all this with me here, I look forward to
    hearing what you guys have to say

    Best wishes,
    Andy

    Andy2005, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Andy2005

    Ashoka! Guest

    I'll take your questions one at a time:

    1 - How long would it take to get certified in Java doing it part-
    time(evenings, some weekends)
    You obviously studied some programing language in college? if
    so (specially if it was c++) then it should take you a few weeks if
    you don't lose hope starting a new language is difficult. If you can
    get your hands on a book called "Java for dummies" or "The complete
    idot's guide to java" it will help you get started. ps-> don't let the
    names fool you these are good books for beginners

    2 - Given that I have no programming work experience, how difficult
    would it be to find a job based solely on the certificate?

    Your certificate will not get you a job but any real world experience
    is a great boost to programmers so if you apply to companies related
    to your current IT work who require programmers then you will be even
    more desirable for companies then more experienced programmers. (Any
    when can write code but its the people who have domain knowledge that
    get the big bucks)

    3 & 4- What's it like to program for a living? does it require endless
    focus

    yes, :) if you are running from long hours then programing is not the
    ting for you. if you ar fed up of your job maybe you may find
    programming more intelectually stimulating. Although programming is
    more deadline driven then hours driven if you meet deadline then
    nobody cares if you leave early.

    Ashoka!, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Andy2005

    enrique Guest

    On Jul 10, 6:36 pm, Andy2005 <> wrote:
    > 1 - How long would it take to get certified in Java doing it part-time
    > (evenings, some weekends)
    > 2 - Given that I have no programming work experience, how difficult
    > would it be to find a job based solely on the certificate
    > 3 - What's it like to program for a living? does it require endless
    > focus
    > 4 - The hours in IT can be bad - there's always something out of hours
    > to do and overtime is common. What's it like in the world of Java
    > programming?

    1 - I never completed my training, so I'll be looking forward to
    hearing about your experience.
    2 - Difficult, but if your current employer has opportunities for you
    to transfer to a new job within the organization, that will be easier
    for you.
    3 - You need to be able to focus on a problem and be detail-oriented.
    Probably not so different from your current job.
    4 - The hours can be bad in programming. Software projects have a bad
    reputation for being completed late and/or over-budget. When this
    happens, it's often the programmer who pays the price.

    Good luck.

    enrique, Jul 11, 2007
  4. On Jul 11, 12:36 am, Andy2005 <> wrote:
    > I'm an IT professional. Working full-time the field and I've been
    > thinking of switching over to Java Software Development.

    Why? As a software developer you are very low in the hierarchy, and
    subject to a permanent outsourcing threat these days.

    > I have a
    > computer science degree which I finished 5 years ago and I haven't
    > touched programming since.

    Good choice, why change it?

    > My questions are as follows, would apperciate your input on the
    > matter:
    > 1 - How long would it take to get certified in Java doing it part-time
    > (evenings, some weekends)

    Why get certified? Certification means everything to some employers,
    and nothing to others. Particularly the kind of employers who warm up
    to outsourcing believe in such certificates. These people believe in
    interchangeability of "resources" based on formal qualification, not
    on actual talent.

    Even If you get some certification, don't start bragging with it in
    your programming job. Chances are your coworkers will just laugh.
    Particularly if you are just mono-lingual. For me a real programmer
    knows a bunch of programming languages, instead of being knowledgeable
    in just one (certified or not).

    > 2 - Given that I have no programming work experience, how difficult
    > would it be to find a job based solely on the certificate

    There are shops who believe in certification only. If you sell
    yourself cheap you have a chance. But do you really want to work for
    people constantly on the outlook to get cheap "resources"?

    > 3 - What's it like to program for a living? does it require endless
    > focus

    It is shit, if it is all you are doing. It doesn't require endless
    focus. It requires an iron will to go out of the shop at 5pm and
    forget about the all the shit happening there. Otherwise you will
    start to get mad and burn out. Employers like young programmers
    because they don't distinguish between work and life - yet. If you
    can't stop focusing on the work at 5pm you won't get very old. Google
    is currently the poster child of a shop that tries to get a hold on
    your whole life. They aren't the only one, they are just very open
    about it. You can do that for a few years, then it takes its toll.

    > 4 - The hours in IT can be bad - there's always something out of hours
    > to do and overtime is common. What's it like in the world of Java
    > programming?

    See above. There is always an artificial deadline forcing to do
    overtime. Why do you think becoming a programmer is an update?

    Hunter Gratzner, Jul 11, 2007
  5. Andy2005

    RVince Guest

    "Andy2005" <> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >

    > My questions are as follows, would apperciate your input on the
    > matter:
    > 1 - How long would it take to get certified in Java doing it part-time
    > (evenings, some weekends)

    That depends on the individual, but, given your past, I would say 40-80
    hours of study and reading should definitely get you in the ballpark. Take
    the practice tests -- any you can find. I used Brogden's book and it helped
    a lot.

    > 2 - Given that I have no programming work experience, how difficult
    > would it be to find a job based solely on the certificate

    Next-to-nothing. Most employers these days want a very specific skill
    set...'Struts,' or...'EJB < 3.0'....'Swing', so what they are looking for it
    seems is experience in a narrow niche of the technology.

    > 3 - What's it like to program for a living? does it require endless
    > focus

    I love it. As perverse as it seems, when I awaken, it's what I WANT to do. I
    dont want to read the paper, I want to be cobbling code. It is invigorating.
    'Endless focus' is a term I think applies to my married friends.

    > 4 - The hours in IT can be bad - there's always something out of hours
    > to do and overtime is common. What's it like in the world of Java
    > programming?

    I don't give a rat's patoot about the hours, or other people's deadlines.
    It's 2007, and you;d think people would FINALLY begin to see that deadlines
    are for the business people, and are a classic case of 'cart-before-the
    horse.' That is to say, to do a job, properly, is something which can be
    estimated timewise, but its the kind of thing that gets done when it;s done.
    If the deadline can;t be met, maybe those setting the deadline need to hire
    more programmers and delegate better. It's THEIR problem, and after a number
    of decades of doing this stuff, I don't even hear them when they speak of
    deadlines anymore than I pay attention to a dog barking at me from across
    the street! -R.Vince

    RVince, Jul 11, 2007