[AJAX ASP.NET]Performance

Oriane

Hi,

I ask myself: if an AJAX aspx page doesn't need anything on the IIS server
and only uses Web services from inside the Javascript to fetch data, is it
necessary to keep a connection/session with IIS ? I guess not !

In that case, how can we "delete" the session with that client in IIS ? I
don't know much in that domain, but I guess that keeping HTTP connections
alive with clients must be resource consuming. So AJAX could save the server
resources.

Oriane

David Wang

Hi,

I ask myself: if an AJAX aspx page doesn't need anything on the IIS server
and only uses Web services from inside the Javascript to fetch data, is it
necessary to keep a connection/session with IIS ? I guess not !

In that case, how can we "delete" the session with that client in IIS ? I
don't know much in that domain, but I guess that keeping HTTP connections
alive with clients must be resource consuming. So AJAX could save the server
resources.

Oriane

Please be more precise. Can you clarify the "connection/session with
IIS" that you are talking about?

IIS and HTTP has no concept of sessions, so if you are asking about
how to "delete" a session, you should ask that in a forum dedicated to
the particular implementation of AJAX on ASP.Net.

Web Services are just SOAP calls made over HTTP to a web server. You
say that AJAX needs to fetch data from it, so contrary to your first
sentence, it would seem that AJAX aspx page *does* need stuff on the
IIS. Please clarify what you are asking to yourself.

Can you identify or measure the "connection/session with IIS" that is
unnecessarily kept open and should be "deleted".

FYI: HTTP is stateless. Keeping a connection alive is called "HTTP
KeepAlive" and is mutually negotiated between a client and server.
Thus, just because a server and client are conducting request/response
over HTTP, it does not mean that there are connections being kept open
unnecessarily.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

PhilTheGap

Hi David,

"David Wang" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
Please be more precise. Can you clarify the "connection/session with
IIS" that you are talking about?
IIS and HTTP has no concept of sessions, so if you are asking about
how to "delete" a session, you should ask that in a forum dedicated to
the particular implementation of AJAX on ASP.Net.
Web Services are just SOAP calls made over HTTP to a web server. You
say that AJAX needs to fetch data from it, so contrary to your first
sentence, it would seem that AJAX aspx page *does* need stuff on the
IIS. Please clarify what you are asking to yourself.
The Web Service is not necessarily on the same server, so why do we need IIS
anymore ?

Can you identify or measure the "connection/session with IIS" that is
unnecessarily kept open and should be "deleted".
FYI: HTTP is stateless. Keeping a connection alive is called "HTTP
KeepAlive" and is mutually negotiated between a client and server.
Thus, just because a server and client are conducting request/response
over HTTP, it does not mean that there are connections being kept open
unnecessarily.

Ok my point is: how to delete unuseful resources on the server machine and
avoid to send unuseful data on the network. As you can see, I'm quite a
newbie in this domain... However, there is a notion of "connection" in IIS.
For instance, you can't have more that N (4 I think) simultaneous
connections on a IIS 5.0, you can ask to your IIS Server the number of
connections it is dealing with. So, the IIS should use memory to deal with
this connections... My understanding is that IIS can remember what
connection is still alive (with cookies or URI), so must consume resource
for this.

Now concerning the "HTTP Keep alive", I can imagine that data are sent
periodically on the network, then consuming bandwith. But I don't know at
what level

As this could be completely unuseful with AJAX, I wonder how we could manage
that in order to save resources and bandwith.

Thanks for your answer.

PhilTheGap

Hi Peter,
Peter Bromberg said:
I think you may be harborin some misconceptions here. Using AJAX with an
ASP.NET application still requires all the IIS infrastructure. I think you
are overly concerned with resource usage. IIS is already very efficient.
Just
focus on getting your application to work well.
Yes I think you are right. However, as Dino Esposito states in his article
from MSDN Magazine (Cutting Edge: AJAX Application Architecture, Part 1),
"The ability to take AJAX applications offline is a challenge for many
software vendors"...

Hans Kesting

Now concerning the "HTTP Keep alive", I can imagine that data are sent
periodically on the network, then consuming bandwith. But I don't know at
what level

When the browser loads a page, it usually requires several requests to
the webserver: the first one retrieves an HTML document that might
reference images, javascript files, css files and so on. Those are
fetched by the browser in separate requests. The "keep-alive" means
that no new negotiation is needed to start those new requests.

I would guess that as soon as the last resource is retrieved, that
connection is closed. In any case I doubt it would last the entire
session!

Hans Kesting