    Do I need to install the Ajax toolkit to be able to compile the .Net 2.0
    website with Ajax? If so, what is the link for it?

    TIA - Jeff.

    Mr. Magic, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Mr. Magic

    Scott M. Guest

    "Mr. Magic" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    >I have a new machine with Windows 7/Visual Studio 2008. I am working on a
    >.Net 2.0 website. When I bring it up, the conversion wizard runs and then
    >it tell me it can't find System.Web.Extensions.ScriptManager.
    >
    > Do I need to install the Ajax toolkit to be able to compile the .Net 2.0
    > website with Ajax? If so, what is the link for it?
    >
    > TIA - Jeff.

    ASP.NET AJAX requires the 3.5 Framework. If you've chosen a 2.0 project or
    website, you won't have access to those libraries. You need to choose a 3.5
    project or website.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Nov 19, 2009

  3. Mr. Magic

    Mr. Magic Guest

    But I was able to do Ajax in a .Net 2.0 project under VS 2005. I did have to
    add the toolkit.

    Is the same true for 2008? I have to add the toolkit?

    Converting the site to 3.5 is not really an option. Plus I don't understand
    why it would work under 2005 but not under 2008.

    TIA - J.

    Mr. Magic, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Mr. Magic

    Scott M. Guest

    "Mr. Magic" <> wrote in message
    > But I was able to do Ajax in a .Net 2.0 project under VS 2005. I did have
    > to add the toolkit.
    >
    > Is the same true for 2008? I have to add the toolkit?
    >
    > Converting the site to 3.5 is not really an option. Plus I don't
    > understand why it would work under 2005 but not under 2008.
    >
    > TIA - J.

    It is possible to "update" a copy of Visual Studio 2005 by adding the ASP
    ..NET AJAX Toolkit to it and that's why you were able to do it with VS 2005.
    But understand that you weren't *just* adding the Toolkit (which is just a
    series of .NET Server Controls that have JavaScript API's), you were also
    adding the fundamental types to do AJAX as well as the Microsoft AJAX Client
    Library.

    Now, ASP.NET AJAX (but not the toolkit) is a native part of .NET 3.5, so if
    you want to do AJAX stuff, you shouldn't go backwards and get the *older*
    version of AJAX, you just use what's buit into .NET.

    Your server supports 2.0 but not 3.5?

    -Scott

    Scott M., Nov 20, 2009
  5. Mr. Magic

    Mr. Magic Guest

    Right. We only have Framework 2.0 on the server. No 3.5 yet.

    Mr. Magic, Nov 20, 2009
  6. Mr. Magic

    Scott M. Guest

    "Mr. Magic" <> wrote in message
    > Right. We only have Framework 2.0 on the server. No 3.5 yet.
    >
    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mr. Magic" <> wrote in message
    >>> But I was able to do Ajax in a .Net 2.0 project under VS 2005. I did
    >>> have to add the toolkit.
    >>>
    >>> Is the same true for 2008? I have to add the toolkit?
    >>>
    >>> Converting the site to 3.5 is not really an option. Plus I don't
    >>> understand why it would work under 2005 but not under 2008.
    >>>
    >>> TIA - J.

    >> It is possible to "update" a copy of Visual Studio 2005 by adding the ASP
    >> .NET AJAX Toolkit to it and that's why you were able to do it with VS
    >> 2005. But understand that you weren't *just* adding the Toolkit (which is
    >> just a series of .NET Server Controls that have JavaScript API's), you
    >> were also adding the fundamental types to do AJAX as well as the
    >> Microsoft AJAX Client Library.
    >>
    >> Now, ASP.NET AJAX (but not the toolkit) is a native part of .NET 3.5, so
    >> if you want to do AJAX stuff, you shouldn't go backwards and get the
    >> *older* version of AJAX, you just use what's buit into .NET.
    >>
    >> Your server supports 2.0 but not 3.5?
    >>
    >> -Scott

    Then your stuck between a rock and hard-place. The older ASP .NET AJAX
    Toolkit is not compatible with VS 2008, so you can't do what you've done in
    the past and because your server doesn't support ASP .NET 3.5, you can't use
    the current version of ASP .NET AJAX.

    Sounds like you should stick with VS 2005 until your server can handle 3.5.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Nov 20, 2009