am I developing C++ skills ?

Obnoxious User

now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

Programming is just as much about solving concrete and abstract problems
in different domains such as design and interfaces, as it is writing it
down in some programming language. How to use the different aspects of
C++ will be revealed along the way if you actually _use_ it.
Develop and maintain a serious project. Write a modula-2 interpreter.

arnuld

now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

werasm

arnuld said:
now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

Hey, don't give up on yourself. I think you're doing fine. How
long have you been a C++ user now? I'm at it 10 years and
I'm still learning each day.

werasm

arnuld said:
you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

Also, after doing the Primer exercises, consider some other books
like the Exception, More Exceptional Series, and Scott Meyers'
Effective and More effective C++, as well as Koenigs book (Accelerated
C++). The Primer book just teaches the basics, but have some good
exercises.

Regards,

Werner

Victor Bazarov

arnuld said:
[..] i learn
C++ and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. [..]
i am still not satsfied as i
don't see much improvemet in myself. [..]

How long has it been? A couple of months? Half a year? Don't be
discouraged just because something is taking longer than you want
or longer than you anticipated. Becoming proficient in something
takes time and effort. And you need to spend both to be successful
in life. Even if you bring together nine women, a baby cannot be
born in one month. I recently watched a few minutes of the movie
"Phenomenon" with John Travolta, and again saw him learn Portugese
in 20 minutes. That's movie magic. It just doesn't happen in real
life.

Programming is not just the language you use. Knowing the rules of
chess is not enough to become a grand master. You need to develop
the feel for it, the habits, the reflexes. Those cannot be learned
by heart from a book.

Keep at it!

red floyd

arnuld said:
now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

Arnuld, I agree with what most of the others have said. I also think
you're going about it in a fairly good manner, taking a *good* book, and
working through the exercises, and asking for feedback on what you've done.

You've made a good start, but it takes time. Welcome to the club.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

I'd say that there are two things that you lack, the first is better
knowledge of the C++ language and the standard libraries. To fix this
just keep working on the exercises and later one keep programming and
ask questions, reading this group also helps. Remember though that C++
is a really complex language and none can know everything, not even
Bjarne Stroustrup claims to.

The second thing you lack is experience, which can only be gained
through programming. There are many things you need more experience in,
a few you can learn from books, but I'm afraid that most things (such as
high-level design) can only be learned from trial and error, and from
more experienced developers. But if you start small and progressively
write bigger and bigger programs you'll probably be on the right track.

Neelesh Bodas

now, most of you know me, you also know what book i follow. i learn C++
and solve exercises and if can't then i post them here. i have spent last
2 months with that book, C++ Primer 4/e and after all that i still do not
see myself as a learning C++ Programmer. Though i know much more about the
language its ins and outs than a normal Post-Graduate guy here in India
but i am still not satsfied as i don't see much improvemet in myself.

you people have seen all of my C++ code here. do you see lack of something
in my work-style ? or i need to develop some skills that a programmer
must have ? or my way of learning is in wrong direction or i am just
another stupid guy :( i hate it but what else i can say about myself)

--http://arnuld.blogspot.com

Along with what everybody has appropriately said, another suggestion
is - try to answer the questions that others have posted on this
group. If you don't know the answer/aren't sure about its correctness,
try searching through your books, net, the c++ standard, try writing
programs to understand the behavior. honest attempts to answer other's
post will help both - youself and the newsgroup.

all the best.
-N