Am I Just a Big Sook?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by spamfurnace, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. spamfurnace

    spamfurnace Guest

    Hi All,

    This thread may be a bit off topic and i apologise in advance to those
    newsgroups purists out there. But i wanted a little feed back from others in
    the same game as me. Below is my email of complaint regarding some service
    or lack thereof that i received from my a hosting service we just signed up
    too. Beneath that is the transcript of our conversation. If your a busy bee
    then stop reading now... its just me having a moan.

    I was feeling really good about this team, on every level until i
    encountered this guy, Peter. I just wanted to know if you all think im a big
    sook over this, is it just the net and lack of body language, or was this
    guys really trying to pull my chain?

    Cheers
    Richard

    * At the very least, i can see why we have hosting partners on ASP.Net site
    now.

    *****

    Below is my conversation with Peter, one of your customer service reps.
    I felt he was deliberately difficult. i figured my query would be answered
    in 30 secs flat.

    I figured it out myself, after our conversation. I just created a bin
    folder, and the .net dll was found automatically fortunately read access was
    prevented on this folder by default so no one could download my .dlls.
    ..
    I was checking with your *support* staff because having selected aspnet for
    this account and not finding the neccessary folders installed, i figured you
    all did things a little differently.

    I am also dismayed that i have choosen a web hosting provider who cannot
    support me on even simple dotnet issues. Note im not asking how to code in
    dot net, i was simply making a very basic enquiry as to its installation on
    YOUR servers.

    *Why didn't i get a pop box after this conversation? I didn't have any
    opportunity to comment on what i felt was someone being deliberately
    difficult? Why was i treated like this?

    I note that after receiving excellent levels of customer service from the
    likes of Elizier, who happened to be the one who signed us up, I received
    pop boxes asking me to comment on the service.

    My impressions of this conversation were only reinforced when i did not
    receive that same opportunity after the poor service i received from Peter.
    I felt like i was conversing with a some smart alec 15 year old in the
    middle of some kind of sulk.

    Peter you have completely taken the shine off my experience to date with
    Host Department. The good work and setup of your peers has been needlessly
    undermined by you. What a bummer!

    :(

    ************************ While waiting you might want to review our
    Knowledge Base. If you are having problem with your mail service, please
    view our mail service update here. Also please review our current network
    status page. Just in case your problem is already being taken care of by our
    team.

    You are now chatting with 'Peter'
    Peter: Hello! Welcome to HostDepartment Live Chat Service. How may I help
    you?

    * 5 minutes go bye after my inital message into your text box, Peter didn't
    answer although clearly he had seen my enquiry *

    Richard: Hello?
    Peter: Hello Sir
    Richard: Did my message dissappear?
    Peter: yes, may I know why you tried dropping the .dll into cgi bin?

    Richard: On other hosters they have adedicatd bin directory for the dll's,
    there wasn;t one there so i figured your system may be set for cgi-bin?
    Richard: Obviously not though because it still could n't find it.
    Peter: adedicatd bin directory for the dll's?
    Peter: you mean dedicated?
    Richard: yes.
    Peter: we have dedicated cgi bin directory
    Peter: as you can see if you ftp to the server
    Richard: Thank you. I know that because as I said above i tried to my .net
    dll in there.
    Richard: Where do i put my .net dlls so they will recognised Peter?
    Peter: is it your own asp component?

    Richard: Yup. HelloWorld.
    Peter: ok, in order to register any custom dll component, you can send it to
    me
    Peter: my email is
    Peter: I will forward it to our admin
    Peter: and he will install it for you

    Richard: Hmmm. That doesn;t make sense.
    Richard: Why all the handling.
    Richard: You guys are set up for asp.net right?
    Peter: is it .aspx file or .dll file?
    Richard: It's the .dll for the .aspx file.
    Richard: Do you know much about dotnet?
    Peter: no, I'm java programmer not .net programmer
    Richard: Okey dokey.
    Peter: as I know, all our client send us the dll file to be registered
    Peter: so that they can use it for their asp page

    Richard: With dotnet the .dll is part of the page.
    Richard: In dotnet you create a code behind file that separates your script
    from your html/markup.
    Richard: This allows separation of functions between developers and web
    designers
    Richard: you compile the script into a .dll
    Richard: this .dll is then compiled on the fly
    Peter: it is multitier programming right
    Richard: Is there anyone else there that programs in dot net Peter?
    Peter: yes

    Peter: one of our admin
    Peter: but he is not here
    Richard: So none of your support staff, know anytihng about dotnet?
    Peter: next shift will be handled by php programmer
    Peter: support staff who knows ,net will be here on Monday *3 days away*

    Richard: So how long does it take for your admin to install .dlls?
    Peter: it depends on him since we can only forward it to him
    Richard: How long does it geenrally take then?
    Peter: I will let you know once he has installed it ok
    Peter: so that you can check it
    Richard: That would be great.. but how long would that be?
    Richard: I need to know what the turn around time is going to be evey time i
    update my code?
    Peter: as I said Sir, you will know it from my email
    Richard: Is the admin there right now?
    Richard: Are we talking 5-10minutes, a couple hours, a day?
    Peter: we are here 24/7
    Richard: Great so do you think it will be 5-10 minutes, a couple of hours or
    a day before my .dll is installed?
    Peter: please be patient Sir since our admin is handling problem from other
    client as well
    Peter: make sure you have sent the dll to me and I will forward it to him
    Peter: so that your request will be on his hobs queue
    Peter: *jobs
    Richard: Peter im asking for an approximation of the time it will take
    before i can use my site. Can you give me one please?
    Peter: I don't know our admin's job queue
    Peter: so that I can't give you approximate time
    Peter: as I said above, you will know it fro my email
    Peter: *from

    * In disbelief at this point *

    Richard: O.k I have emailed you the .dll. Can you confirm receipt?
    Peter: yes, it's MyTestApp.dll right
    Richard: Thats it.
    Peter: ok
    Peter: I will forward it to admin now
    Richard: I will await your email.
    Richard: Over and out.

    * All he had to do, was tell me to create a bin folder, Its been 90mins and
    still no mail from him.*
    Good job, im not reliant on his *support* aey?

    spamfurnace, Apr 24, 2004

  2. spamfurnace

    Eric Biggs Guest

    I don't know, I think you might be being too hard on Peter. This seems like
    it's more of a problem of the organization having a java tech support
    answering .net support queries. Peter did as much as he could given his
    knowledge. I'd say a more productive approach would be to not spam an
    unrelated newsgroup with your complaints but to write Peter an e-mail
    explaining to him what the simple solution is, and an email to your host
    asking them why they are understaffed on people qualified to handle .net
    support.

    Eric Biggs, Apr 24, 2004

  3. spamfurnace

    spamfurnace Guest

    "Eric Biggs" <e> wrote in message
    > I don't know, I think you might be being too hard on Peter. This seems

    like
    > it's more of a problem of the organization having a java tech support
    > answering .net support queries. Peter did as much as he could given his
    > knowledge. I'd say a more productive approach would be to not spam an
    > unrelated newsgroup with your complaints but to write Peter an e-mail
    > explaining to him what the simple solution is, and an email to your host
    > asking them why they are understaffed on people qualified to handle .net
    > support.

    Hmm, good points. I had already done both of these things, and received no
    response from the organisation.
    As for unrelated spam. I didn't think it was. This is the asp.net newsgroup,
    as far as im aware there are no asp.net hosting forums... so i figured if i
    was going looking for good hosting partners and plans this might be one
    place i'd start by asking around about service levels etc.

    This was my experience with such a host. If anyone is looking for an asp.net
    hoster, ask for a trial account before you shift your domains. Dont just
    believe what their marketing html tells you about QoS.

    Richard

    spamfurnace, Apr 24, 2004