[ANN] AEditor 0.12 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Simon Strandgaard, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. download
    http://rubyforge.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18&release_id=380

    screenshots
    http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/shots.html

    bug reports
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=149&group_id=18&func=browse

    feature requrests
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=152&group_id=18&func=browse

    mailinglist
    http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/aeditor-talk

    What is Aeditor ?
    =================

    AEditor is a programmers editor for unix. It relies on Ncurses.
    Its capable of: Folding, blocking, Macros, Undo/Redo...etc.
    There is a huge testsuite (415 tests), so it should be stable.
    However it lacks some things and consumes lots of memory.
    Its written entirely in Ruby, so the code should be very easy
    to grasp and extend, kind of Emacs with Ruby.

    Future plans
    ============

    AEditor is a rival to scintilla. It is meant to be
    embedded into other applications, eg: FreeRIDE.
    AEditor aims at becoming the best tool for pair-programming.

    I have done some experiments making GUI frontends for
    foxtoolkit and qt. These are written in C++ and embeds the Ruby
    interpreter inside. This isn't my primary focus, if anyone wants
    to help then please do.

    Because its written entirely in Ruby, there should be no
    problems in making it fully scriptable in Ruby too.
    Imagine writing editor-macros in Ruby ;-)

    My primary focus is to finish the regexp engine, so that
    AEditor can get some nice syntax coloring. I want to use
    perl6 regexp syntax everywhere in this project.

    Report Bugs
    ===========

    Help others, tell me whats wrong.

    File a bug report (requires rubyforge account)
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=149&group_id=18&func=browse

    or mail me directly
    Simon Strandgaard <>

    Feature Requests
    ================

    There is room for improvement.

    File a feature report (requires rubyforge account)
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=152&group_id=18&func=browse

    or mail me directly
    Simon Strandgaard <>

    Changes since 0.11
    ==================
    01-april-2004 Neoneye
    * version 0.12 is released.
    * updated README, INSTALL.
    * changed licence from BSD to Ruby's.
    * Converted tests from RUnit to Test::Unit.
    * Made some warnings go away because I used deprecated
    features.

    16-september-2003 Neoneye
    * INSTALL was refering to 'ncurses-ruby' using
    the confusing 'ncurses' name. People will think
    it is Ncurses that I am refering to.. Which it
    is NOT. Also guide to how to uninstall AEditor
    has been added. [Johan Gade's suggestion]

    27-august-2003 Neoneye
    * moved 'backend/cmdline.rb' to 'ncurses/cmdline.rb'.
    * the last week I have been playing with DocBook
    and 'catalog.xml'. I have started both a user-
    and a developer-manual project.

    18-august-2003 Neoneye
    * change directory hierarchy, so that frontend is
    seperated from backend.
    * merged 'markers1' branch. Could not initiate the
    work with markers, because of the limited
    keybinding system. Thus the last week I have spend
    parsing wierd escape sequences from the keyboard,
    now I just have to integrate it into AEditor.
    When integration is completed, I will hopefully
    be able to Insert, Remove, Goto markers.

    12-august-2003 Neoneye
    * version 0.11 is released.

    end of announcement

    Simon Strandgaard, Apr 1, 2004