[ANN] aeditor 1.4

Simon Strandgaard

AEditor is an übercool programmer's editor, written entirely in Ruby
and very easy to extend with your own customizations.

Screenshots:
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/020.png
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/021.png
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/022.png

Note that Windows and UNIX versions are different in this
release due to a possible bug in Fox.

Download (Windows):
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/1149/aeditor-1.4.zip
[ installation procedure on windows, see README in that zip file ]

Download (UNIX):
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/1147/aeditor-1.4.tar.gz
[ installation procedure on UNIX, see bottom of this announcement ]

Changes and Features
====================

With this 1.4 release, rendering has been heavily optimized.
Only the necessary screen draws are performed, greatly reducing
cpu usage for the following operations:

* insert letter
* delete letter
* break line
* join line
* move cursor up/down/left/right
* move cursor home/end
* move cursor to next/prev word

If you happen to be an expert in Fxruby, please take a look at
the todo-list and see if you can help solve some of the issues:
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcv...=aeditor&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
[ http://tinyurl.com/6f9hp ]

If you make any changes or have any ideas, please share.
Email me with any suggestions you have :)

Installation Procedure on Unix
==============================

The easiest way to install aeditor and its dependencies is
through rpa-base, the port/pkg manager of the Ruby Production Archive.

1) Installing Fox Toolkit 1.0.X

(WARNING)
DON'T INSTALL FOX 1.2.X !

On Gentoo, you can find it under /usr/portage/x11-libs/fox
In Debian, you'll need to:
root$ apt-get install libfox1.0-dev

FOX may be elsewhere on other platforms; you might be able to
find it in your system's package manager.

2) Installing RPA

download and install RPA:

after installation, be sure to update rpa-base:
root$ rpa update
root$ rpa install rpa-base

3) Installing AEditor

root$ rpa install aeditor

AEditor is now installed, and you may start it by typing:

prompt$ aeditor

Installing the Dotfile
======================

The syntax coloring rules are described in the dotfile; if it's missing,
no syntax coloring will take place.

You will need to fetch this file:
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcv...=aeditor&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
[ http://tinyurl.com/6h3nn ]
and place it in $HOME/.aeditor .

Simon Strandgaard

Hi Simon,

great work!

On these I see that the \n is not highlighted seperately. Might be useful?

the place at the line end where the newline (\n) are, I currently render a
centered dot. Its not that visible, but helps determining how long the line
are.

Here is a very old shot where I don't render newline seperately, so
newline appears as an empty box.
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/aeditor_shots/009.png

Are we talking about the same thing?

More suggestions to graphics improvements are warmly welcome.

Simon Strandgaard

I think sascha was referring to hilighting things like \n and \t within
strings.

Ah.. I already have had an entry in my todolist that said that I should do
this. Maybe I should up-prioritize it?

If anyone looks at my evergrowing todolist, and sees some things that you
think should have high priority... then please mail me so I can get it
implemented.. otherwise that feature may never get implemented.

todolist:
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcv...=aeditor&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
[ http://tinyurl.com/6f9hp ]

It would be really nice to get fixed some of the fxruby issues, but im no
expert in fxruby. If you happen to knowledge about fxruby and would like to
help.. please do ;-)

Thanks im grateful for any suggestions and valuable critizism.