[ANN] Copland 1.0

Jamis Buck

Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

(That naturally doesn't mean it is bug free or perfect, it just means
that future releases will follow a more traditional versioning scheme.)

project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/copland
user manual: http://copland.rubyforge.org
api docs: http://copland.rubyforge.org/api
package docs: http://copland.rubyforge.org/packrat

This release features the following asterisk-like bullet points:

* Cycles in dependencies are now reported legibly when they result in
errors.

* Substitution symbols in configuration points work correctly now.

* Public/private visibility for service points (for restricting service
visibility outside of a package)

* Customizable log message formats, similar to those offered by Log4j

* Added more practical intro to Copland in the manual.

* Added RubyConf 2004 presentation.

Comments, as always, are welcome. I should mention that most of the
comments I recieved about Copland during RubyConf have _not_ been
implemented; I am choosing instead to focus on Needle ("The DI Container
Formerly Known as Syringe"), which will be a much more Rubyish interface.

Further enhancements of Copland are pending sufficient interesting from
the community--otherwise, all future efforts will focus on Needle.

- Jamis

David Heinemeier Hansson

Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's
at a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

Congratulations, Jamis! Your dedication to well-documented and timely
released software is as always a huge inspiration. I hope to be able to
follow in your footsteps shortly and bless components of the Rails
family 1.0 in a not-too-distant future.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyonrails.org/ -- Web-application framework for Ruby

Mauricio Fernández

Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable". [...]
Comments, as always, are welcome. I should mention that most of the
comments I recieved about Copland during RubyConf have _not_ been
implemented; I am choosing instead to focus on Needle ("The DI Container
Formerly Known as Syringe"), which will be a much more Rubyish interface.

Thanks a lot Jamis! Looking forward to Needle (will have to rename the
code in the repository though :).

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa show copland
Port: copland
Classification: Top.Library.Development
Available-Version: 1.0.0-1
Installed-Version: 1.0.0-1
RPA-Version: 0.0
Updated: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:51 +0200
Source-URL: http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/ports/copland_1.0.0-1.rps
Copland is an Inversion of Control (IoC) container for Ruby.

vruz

Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

Great work Jamis !

All good stuff.. SQLite-Ruby, Net:SSH and now Copland turns 1.0
I'll be having a deeper look at it (and looking forward to Needle)

congratz

vruz

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa show copland
Port: copland
Classification: Top.Library.Development
Available-Version: 1.0.0-1
Installed-Version: 1.0.0-1
RPA-Version: 0.0
Updated: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:51 +0200

and thanks Mauricio for the RPA port
(that was really quick !)

(I take it the other minor copland-related dependent packages still
work for Copland 1.0, right ?)

best,
vruz

Jamis Buck

vruz said:
and thanks Mauricio for the RPA port
(that was really quick !)

(I take it the other minor copland-related dependent packages still
work for Copland 1.0, right ?)

Yup. Though, now that you mention it, I think there may be a few minor
changes in the CVS versions of those packages... I'll see about
packaging them up for a new release as well.

- Jamis