[ann] cros-0.1 prerelease

Simon Strandgaard

demo page (not connected to server, so no funcionality)
http://ros.rubyforge.org/output/frontend/

download here:

CROS, Cofigurator 4 ROS
=======================

This is an Operator Stacking system, heavily inspired by
a RAD tool for composing demoes, named Werkkzeug:
http://www.theprodukkt.com/werkkzeug1.html

Status
======

This is an early release, which still is very experimental.
Its supposed to work with Konqueror 3.3.1 and Firefox 1.0.
It has been reported that it works with Opera too.

Backend is very early.. Actually today (29 Nov 2004) I have
gotten communication between backend and frontend working.
I need to be able to plug in new operators into the backend.

Frontend is good. Most critical things has been solved.

If you have interest in this project, then please join
this mailinglist.

Usage
=====

It requires Ruby version 1.8.1 or better, and has no
dependencies on other packages.

To start the application

prompt> cd backend
prompt> ruby main.rb

Point your browser to

http://localhost:10080/

Enjoy.

Jamis Buck

Simon said:
demo page (not connected to server, so no funcionality)
http://ros.rubyforge.org/output/frontend/

download here:

CROS, Cofigurator 4 ROS
=======================

This is an Operator Stacking system, heavily inspired by
a RAD tool for composing demoes, named Werkkzeug:
http://www.theprodukkt.com/werkkzeug1.html

But... what *is* it? Sorry if I'm being dense... You have a lot of
tempting statements here (and below), but I'm not very clear on what
this is supposed to actually *do*. :)

Is it like the Werkkzeug product you linked to, which appears to be a
tool for creating demos? (Doesn't say what *kind* of demos, though...so
I'm still pretty in the dark...)

Thanks, and sorry if this is obviously self-explanatory and I'm just
missing it...

- Jamis

Simon Strandgaard

[snip]
But... what *is* it? Sorry if I'm being dense... You have a lot of
tempting statements here (and below), but I'm not very clear on what
this is supposed to actually *do*. :)

Its a producer/consumer system, where each operator read in some data,
manipulate the data and pass it further to the next operator.
Self-dependencies are not possible to create when you represent it with a grid.
The data can be graphics, sound, numbers, strings.. anything.

Is it like the Werkkzeug product you linked to, which appears to be a
tool for creating demos? (Doesn't say what *kind* of demos, though...so
I'm still pretty in the dark...)

To the big computer parties there are usually competitions on who can make the
best usage of 64kbytes, some people have mastered to both have 3d engine and
sound system. There are many categories: 256bytes, 1kbyte, 4kbyte,
40kbytes, 64kbytes.
There are also big demoes where size is unlimitted, but these are not
that amazing.
A good place to see how much people have accomplished with 64kbytes:
http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=1221

Thanks, and sorry if this is obviously self-explanatory and I'm just
missing it...

:)

Jamis Buck

Simon said:
[snip]
But... what *is* it? Sorry if I'm being dense... You have a lot of
tempting statements here (and below), but I'm not very clear on what
this is supposed to actually *do*. :)

Its a producer/consumer system, where each operator read in some data,
manipulate the data and pass it further to the next operator.
Self-dependencies are not possible to create when you represent it with a grid.
The data can be graphics, sound, numbers, strings.. anything.

Ah, thanks. :) Sounds slick!

- Jamis