ANN: esky 0.2.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ryan Kelly, Nov 7, 2009.

  1. Ryan Kelly

    Ryan Kelly Guest

    I'm pleased to announce the latest release of esky, a tool for keeping
    your frozen apps fresh:

    Downloads: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/esky/
    Latest Version: 0.2.1
    License: BSD

    Esky is an auto-update framework for frozen python apps, built on top of
    bbfreeze. It provides a simple API through which apps can find, fetch
    and install updates, and a bootstrapping mechanism that keeps the app
    safe in the face of failed or partial updates.

    A frozen app that wants to auto-update itself might run the following in
    a background thread:

    if hasattr(sys,"frozen"):
    app = esky.Esky(sys.executable,"http://myapp.com/downloads/")
    new_version = app.find_update()
    if new_version is not None:
    app.install_update(new_version)

    The new version of the application is linked into the app directory in
    the safest possible manner: using a carefully-ordered sequence of
    atomic renames on POSIX, using MoveFileTransacted on Windows Vista or
    later, and using the "rename-and-pray" method on older versions of
    Windows. Failed or partial updates are detected and cleaned up
    automatically.

    Enjoy!

    Ryan

    --
    Ryan Kelly
    http://www.rfk.id.au | This message is digitally signed. Please visit

    Ryan Kelly, Nov 7, 2009

  2. Ryan Kelly

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Ryan Kelly <> wrote:

    >Esky is an auto-update framework for frozen python apps, built on top of
    >bbfreeze. It provides a simple API through which apps can find, fetch
    >and install updates, and a bootstrapping mechanism that keeps the app
    >safe in the face of failed or partial updates.

    Recently I was looking into distribution mechanisms, and I passed over
    bbfreeze because I saw no indication that Python 2.6 was supported.
    Kind of a bummer because esky looks pretty cool.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    [on old computer technologies and programmers] "Fancy tail fins on a
    brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out a whole generation of
    mechanics who started with model As." --Andrew Dalke

    Aahz, Nov 13, 2009

  3. Ryan Kelly

    Ryan Kelly Guest

    > >Esky is an auto-update framework for frozen python apps, built on top of
    > >bbfreeze. It provides a simple API through which apps can find, fetch
    > >and install updates, and a bootstrapping mechanism that keeps the app
    > >safe in the face of failed or partial updates.

    > Recently I was looking into distribution mechanisms, and I passed over
    > bbfreeze because I saw no indication that Python 2.6 was supported.

    Not sure if it's officially supported, but I do most of my development
    on Python 2.6 and bbfreeze hasn't given me any problems as yet.

    Cheers,

    Ryan

    Ryan Kelly, Nov 13, 2009
  4. Ryan Kelly

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Ryan Kelly <> wrote:

    >>>Esky is an auto-update framework for frozen python apps, built on top of
    >>>bbfreeze. It provides a simple API through which apps can find, fetch
    >>>and install updates, and a bootstrapping mechanism that keeps the app
    >>>safe in the face of failed or partial updates.

    >> Recently I was looking into distribution mechanisms, and I passed over
    >> bbfreeze because I saw no indication that Python 2.6 was supported.

    >Not sure if it's officially supported, but I do most of my development
    >on Python 2.6 and bbfreeze hasn't given me any problems as yet.

    Also, bbfreeze doesn't seem to have active development.

    Aahz, Nov 13, 2009
  5. Ryan Kelly

    Ryan Kelly Guest

    > >> Recently I was looking into distribution mechanisms, and I passed over
    > >> bbfreeze because I saw no indication that Python 2.6 was supported.

    > >Not sure if it's officially supported, but I do most of my development
    > >on Python 2.6 and bbfreeze hasn't given me any problems as yet.

    > Also, bbfreeze doesn't seem to have active development.

    It's slow but certainly active. Development was recently moved to
    github with almost no fanfare (in fact I only discovered the github site
    by accident):

    http://github.com/schmir/bbfreeze

    Out of curiosity, what freezer package did you settle on in the end?
    I'm curious it see if esky could easily switch between different
    freezers (although it currently depends on some rather deep details of
    the bbfreeze format).

    Cheers,

    Ryan

    Ryan Kelly, Nov 13, 2009
  6. Ryan Kelly

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Ryan Kelly <> wrote:

    >Out of curiosity, what freezer package did you settle on in the end?
    >I'm curious it see if esky could easily switch between different
    >freezers (although it currently depends on some rather deep details of
    >the bbfreeze format).

    We're currently using py2app and py2exe and are planning to use cx_freeze
    for Linux.

    Aahz, Nov 14, 2009