ANN: Frog 1.3 released (python 'blog' application)

Irmen de Jong

I've just uploaded the Frog 1.3 release.

Frog is a blog (web log) system written in 100% Python.
It is a web application written for Snakelets.
It outputs XHTML, is fully unicode compatible, small,
and doesn't require a database.

You can read about it and download it here:
http://snakelets.sourceforge.net/frog/

It's 60Kb if you already have Snakelets, otherwise 122Kb.

Frog 1.3 uses the same storage format as 1.2 so no conversion
is required. If you encounter bugs or problems, or want to give
some feedback, please let me know.

Enjoy,
--Irmen de Jong.

PS I'm running Frog for my personal blog, so if you want
to see it in action, please visit:
http://www.razorvine.net/snake/frog/user/irmen/
(still somewhat experimental and most is in Dutch)

Jorey Bump

I've just uploaded the Frog 1.3 release.

Frog is a blog (web log) system written in 100% Python.
It is a web application written for Snakelets.
It outputs XHTML, is fully unicode compatible, small,
and doesn't require a database.

Frog 1.3 uses the same storage format as 1.2 so no conversion
is required. If you encounter bugs or problems, or want to give
some feedback, please let me know.

Very nice. I downloaded the complete version and ran it within Cygwin
without any problems, except that the simple file browser is not included.
The Files link returns a 404 error.

Are there any plans to include a per user file manager? This would allow
file management for a large user base, where ftp uploads would be
impractical and unsafe.

Irmen de Jong

Jorey said:
[email protected]:

Very nice. I downloaded the complete version and ran it within Cygwin
without any problems, except that the simple file browser is not included.
The Files link returns a 404 error.

Ah yes. I simply forgot to include it, sorry about that.
Are there any plans to include a per user file manager? This would allow
file management for a large user base, where ftp uploads would be
impractical and unsafe.

I've added a 'filemgr' package to the files section; you can
get the file manager separately from there.
Or re-download the Frog-complete package (I've replaced it
with a version where the file manager is included).

Read the README file first.

Please let me know what you think of Frog and the FileMgr.

--Irmen de Jong.

Jorey Bump

I've added a 'filemgr' package to the files section; you can
get the file manager separately from there.
Or re-download the Frog-complete package (I've replaced it
with a version where the file manager is included).

Read the README file first.

Please let me know what you think of Frog and the FileMgr.

Thanks, I'm impressed. However, I feel as though the file manager should be
integrated with Frog in a such a way that it is enabled automatically for
users when they are created. The mkuser.py script felt a bit awkward,
especially when creating users was so easy in the administrative interface.
And once logged in, a user shouldn't need to authenticate to the file
manager separately.

I understand that the file manager was developed as a standalone webapp,
but the virtual user support is a big plus in Frog, and it would be great
to start uploading images to blogfiles/user/ right away.

Irmen de Jong

Jorey said:
Thanks, I'm impressed. However, I feel as though the file manager should be
integrated with Frog in a such a way that it is enabled automatically for
users when they are created. The mkuser.py script felt a bit awkward,
especially when creating users was so easy in the administrative interface.

I can only agree with this :)
And once logged in, a user shouldn't need to authenticate to the file
manager separately.

That is a feature that Snakelets (the web server) doesn't provide yet.
You can only be authenticated on a per-webapp basis.
It is on my to-do list to add a centralized login thing.
I understand that the file manager was developed as a standalone webapp,
but the virtual user support is a big plus in Frog, and it would be great
to start uploading images to blogfiles/user/ right away.

Agreed, and I think it will be better integrated in a future version.
For now, you'll just have to login twice or hack your own centralized
logon thing ;-)

Have fun,

--Irmen de Jong