ANN: Snakelets 1.3 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamic pages)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Irmen de Jong, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.3 is now available.

    Changes since 1.2:
    - actually compiles Ypages to pyc bytecodes now
    - ypages can send HTTP error responses, include another url and forward to another url
    - better script indent handling in Ypages
    - adds ETag and Last-Modified HTTP headers,
    - aads nocache HTTP headers for snakelet and Ypage responses
    - quickreference manual
    - miscellaneous fixes and improvements

    Snakelets is a simple Python web application server, mainly for educational
    purposes. This project provides a threaded web server, Ypages (HTML+Python
    language, similar to Java's JSPs) and Snakelets: code-centric page
    request handlers (similar to Java's Servlets).

    Before you all rightfully scream "not another Python web server and HTML-
    language" let me say that Snakelet's focus is on understanding the way
    dynamic web sites are created (the code is very compact and easy to
    understand), and make this process as easy as possible.
    The actual server and Ypage-compiler code is less than 2,300 lines.

    The full download includes a few example web-applications:
    - mp3 indexer and streamer
    - shop
    - server/webapp management tool

    Snakelets is not meant to be a true platform to develop applications on.
    It is meant to show how a web application server might work. I certainly
    learned a lot from creating it.

    You can download it from http://snakelets.sourceforge.net
    (go to the SF project site, and then the file section).

    Snakelets is released under the open-source MIT Software license.

    --Irmen de Jong

    Irmen de Jong, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.3 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

    Irmen de Jong wrote:
    > I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.3 is now available.

    I forgot to mention that to successfully start it, you
    now have to generate a music database file yourself.
    Previously one was included (my own :) but I removed
    it. It's in the webapps/music directory.
    You can generate one yourself by running the
    makedatabase.py script, giving the directory(ies)
    with your mp3 files in it as arguments.

    Sorry :)

    --Irmen de Jong

    Irmen de Jong, Aug 25, 2003