ANN: IPython 0.6.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fernando Perez, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Announcing an update to IPython, an enhanced interactive Python shell.

    I've just uplodaded officially IPython 0.6.1. Many thanks to all who
    contributed comments, bug reports, ideas and patches. I'd like in particular
    to thank Ville Vainio, who helped a lot with many of the features for pysh,
    and was willing to put code in front of his ideas.

    As always, a big Thank You goes to Enthought and the SciPy crowd for hosting
    ipython and all its attending support services (bug tracker, mailing lists,
    website and downloads, etc).

    * WHAT is IPython? IPython tries to:

    1. Provide an interactive shell superior to Python's default. IPython has many
    features for object introspection, system shell access, and its own special
    command system for adding functionality when working interactively.

    2. Serve as an embeddable, ready to use interpreter for your own programs.
    IPython can be started with a single call from inside another program,
    providing access to the current namespace.

    3. Offer a flexible framework which can be used as the base environment for
    other systems with Python as the underlying language.

    * WHERE to find it: http://ipython.scipy.org

    It's been a while (over a year) since I've announced an ipython release here.
    But there has been a steady stream of development, so if you haven't upgraded
    in a while, you should.

    * NEW since last public release (ChangeLog included with full details, I only
    give highlights here because there have been too many changes).

    - BACKWARDS-INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: Users will need to update their ipythonrc
    files and replace '%n' with '\D' in their prompt_in2 settings everywhere.
    Sorry, but there's otherwise no clean way to get all prompts to properly
    align. The ipythonrc shipped with IPython has been updated.

    - 'pysh' profile, which allows you to use ipython as a system shell. This
    includes mechanisms for easily capturing shell output into python strings and
    lists, and for expanding python variables back to the shell. It is started,
    like all profiles, with 'ipython -p pysh'. The following is a brief example
    of the possibilities:

    planck[~/test]|3> $$a=ls *.py
    planck[~/test]|4> type(a)
    <4> <type 'list'>
    planck[~/test]|5> for f in a:
    |.> if f.startswith('e'):
    |.> wc -l $f
    |.>
    113 error.py
    9 err.py
    2 exit2.py
    10 exit.py

    You can get the necessary profile into your ~/.ipython directory by running
    'ipython -upgrade', or by copying it from the IPython/UserConfig directory
    (ipythonrc-pysh). Note that running -upgrade will rename your existing config
    files to prevent clobbering them with new ones.

    This feature had been long requested by many users, and it's at last
    officially part of ipython.

    - Improved the @alias mechanism. It is now based on a fast, lightweight
    dictionary implementation, which was a requirement for making the pysh
    functionality possible. A new pair of magics, @rehash and @rehashx, allow you
    to load ALL of your $PATH into ipython as aliases at runtime.

    - New plot2 function added to the Gnuplot support module, to plot dictionaries
    and lists/tuples of arrays. Also added automatic EPS generation to hardcopy().

    - History is now profile-specific.

    - New @bookmark magic to keep a list of directory bookmarks for quick
    navigation.

    - New mechanism for profile-specific persistent data storage. Currently only
    the new @bookmark system uses it, but it can be extended to hold arbitrary
    picklable data in the future.

    - New @system_verbose magic to view all system calls made by ipython.

    - For Windows users: all this functionality now works under Windows, but some
    external libraries are required. Details here:
    http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node2.html#sub:Under-Windows

    - Fix bugs with '_' conflicting with the gettext library.

    - Many, many other bugfixes and minor enhancements. See the NEWS file linked
    above for the full details.

    Enjoy, and please report any problems.

    Best,

    Fernando Perez.
    Fernando Perez, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Fernando Perez wrote:

    > Announcing an update to eractive Python shell.
    >
    > I've just uplodaded officially IPython 0.6.1. Many thanks to all who

    Note:

    the rpms I uploaded yesterday tagged as py23 were inadvertently built with
    py22, so things were going to the wrong directory. I just uploaded corrected
    ones (no code changes at all). Thanks to Stephen Walton for reporting the
    problem.

    The actual version on the site is 0.6.2. I discovered a small problem with the
    'cd' command yesterday right after releasing 0.6.1, so I did a silent update
    to 0.6.2 after fixing the bug.

    Best,

    Fernando Perez, Jul 27, 2004