[ANN]Learn To Program translated to Japanese

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Chris Pine, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Chris Pine

    Chris Pine Guest

    Hello all,

    I just found out that Shin Nishiyama, a research associate at Chiba University, has translated "Learn To Program" into Japanese!

    http://www1.tf.chiba-u.jp/~shin/tutorial/

    It is being used as a text for a programming class there. Needless to say, I'm tickled. :) The fact that it was translated back into Ruby's mother-tongue... I'm feeling all Sally Fieldsy about it (you know, "You really like me!").

    The original can still be found here:

    http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

    What is it?  It's a tutorial for teaching programming (using Ruby, of course) to the non-programmer.  All of the code examples are executed every time the page is loaded, and the output (and possibly scripted user input) are captured and displayed as well, so the parts with `rand' or with `Time.now' are dynamic!

    If you get a chance, I'd love to hear any comments/corrections you might have.

    If you know of anyone interested in programming, but not knowing where to begin, point them to this tutorial and let me know how it goes!

    Hope you like it,

    Chris

    Chris Pine, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Chris Pine wrote:

    >I just found out that Shin Nishiyama, a research associate at Chiba University, has translated "Learn To Program" into Japanese!
    >
    >http://www1.tf.chiba-u.jp/~shin/tutorial/

    Truly wonderful, Chris. Killer tutorial, deserves widespread promulgation.

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Nov 16, 2004