[ANN] oniguruma for ruby initial release

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dizan Vasquez, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Oniguruma regular expression library bindings for Ruby.

    This is the initial release of these bindings, which allow developers
    to use the powerful features of Oniguruma (named groups, look-behinds,
    etc.) without the need to upgrado to Ruby 1.9 or to patch and recompile
    the stable version.

    = Web page

    http://oniguruma.rubyforge.org

    = Features:

    * Increased performance.
    * Same interface than standard Regexp class.
    * Support for named groups, look-ahead, look-behind
    * And other cool features!

    = Changes:

    == 0.9.0 / 2007-03-19

    * 1 major enhancement
    * Birthday!

    http://oniguruma.rubyforge.org
    Dizan Vasquez, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Dizan Vasquez schrieb:
    > Oniguruma regular expression library bindings for Ruby.
    >
    > This is the initial release of these bindings, which allow developers
    > to use the powerful features of Oniguruma (named groups, look-behinds,
    > etc.) without the need to upgrado to Ruby 1.9 or to patch and recompile
    > the stable version.

    We startet yesterday in the german Ruby-Forum to test the software. Due to
    compiler problems on Windows (I don't have the C-compiler which is necessary for
    the OneClickInstaller-Version) the tests were done by two persons on Mac OS 10.4
    and Linux, both with same result.

    The basic problem we encountered was, that an Oniguruma-5 version must be
    available. The binding cannot be compiled for Oniguruma-4 and Oniguruma-2,
    because the associated "oniguruma.h" does not contain definitions which are
    required. This does not match the documentation, which claims workability for
    Oniguruma versions 2 and 4.

    The library should support Oniguruma-4 versions, because they will be used in
    Ruby, starting with version 1.9, while Oniguruma-5 is not related to Ruby. If
    one wants to use the pattern matching capabilities of Ruby 1.9, but still have
    problems with libraries, that are not yet ported to Ruby 1.9, needs the regular
    expression engine of Ruby 1.9 in Ruby 1.8 to avoid later porting problems for
    the own software.

    Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner
    Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner, Mar 27, 2007