[ANN] Pimki

Assaph Mehr

** About

Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
Manager. Current version is based in Instiki’s latest CVS (0.9.2).

There are some features added to Instiki, features that only make sense
when you view it as a personal application and not as a group oriented
application. Some Instiki features were suppressed. See below for a
full list.

Please feel free to try it to organize your thoughts, email me if you
have any problems (assaph at gmail). Get it at:

http://pimki.rubyforge.org/

** Installation

Download it from the RubyForge project page or go the gem way and
simply run:
gem install pimki

To enable the Mind Map feature, GraphViz[2] must be installed and the
bin directory on the system path.

Run it with the command 'pimki' or install it as a service (see home
page for details).
Features

** Features

Besides all the regular Instiki features, Pimki adds:

* Mind Map: a graph of wiki connections (made with GraphViz).
All graphs can be laid-out with the 4 GraphViz engines. Graph
contents can be arranged as:
o Page → linked pages
o Authors → pages
o Categories → pages
Requires that GraphViz be installed and on the PATH to be
enabled.
* Bliki: a blog integrated with the wiki. Blog entries are simply
wiki-pages in a special space. Can link from an entry to wiki
pages.
* Todo Items & List:
o ‘todo:’ items are highlighted on each page.
o Added a capacity to pull and list todo items from all
pages.
o On main list, items are highlighted according to date
(if there is one).
* Added capacity to (persistently :) Delete/Rename pages through
the ‘All Pages’ list.
* Added Left-Side Menu. Content options are:
o Only pages that reference other pages (default)
o All pages: by name
o All pages: recently revised
o All pages: recently visited
o All pages: most often visited
o User definable wiki-text
* Expanded Search:
o Search also tries to match the page names (not just
contents).
o Now showing part of sentence around match in search-results
page.
* Changed the nav-bar: added links to the Mind Map, Bliki and ToDo.
Moved less relevant links to the bottom of Home Page: RSS,
authors
and export.

Hope people find it useful.

Cheers,
Assaph

[1] www.instiki.org
[2] www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz

Stoyan Zhekov

** About

Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
Manager. Current version is based in Instiki's latest CVS (0.9.2).

Take a look on [ http://bgjap.net/code/ruby/gems/ ] 0.9.1-3.gem have
some improved features - no need from BlueCloth, RedCloth 3.0.0 can
handle Markdown; rollbacks give you an editbox to submit/cancel
changes; tests are in the separate directory. Maybe will help you for
pimki. Seems my gems will not be included soon in the rubygems.

Assaph Mehr

Hi!

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at your mods later. Have you
submitted them to David HH for Instiki? He may be busy now, but they
might be integrated in the future.

As for markdown, I noticed that RedCloth 3.0.0 and 2.1.1 had somewhat
different results when I tested on an existing page. Didn't have time
to see what was the cause yet (quite possibly it's not redcloth's
fault), so I just went with the existing set-up of both Red- and Blue-
cloth.

Cheers,
Assaph

Dick Davies

* Assaph Mehr said:
** About

Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
Manager. Current version is based in Instiki?s latest CVS (0.9.2).

There are some features added to Instiki, features that only make sense
when you view it as a personal application and not as a group oriented
application. Some Instiki features were suppressed. See below for a
full list.

Please feel free to try it to organize your thoughts, email me if you
have any problems (assaph at gmail). Get it at:

http://pimki.rubyforge.org/

** Installation

Download it from the RubyForge project page or go the gem way and
simply run:
gem install pimki

Problem here on my Debian box:

planb:~# gem install pimki
Attempting local installation of 'pimki'
Local gem file not found: pimki*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'pimki'
Install required dependency RedCloth? [Yn]
Install required dependency BlueCloth? [Yn]
Install required dependency rubyzip? [Yn]
Install required dependency madeleine? [Yn]
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
string contains null byte
planb:~# gem --version
0.8.1
planb:~# ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-23) [i386-linux]
planb:~# uname -a
Linux xxx 2.6.9-1-686 #1 Tue Nov 16 17:52:21 JST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Assaph Mehr

Hi Dick,

There a few threads recently on ruby-gems and a ''null byte'' error. I
will check and see if there is anything I can do as far as Pimki is
concerned. There should be a bug fix (and minor enhancements) release
soon anyway.

Cheers,
Assaph

Dick Davies

* Assaph Mehr said:
Hi Dick,

There a few threads recently on ruby-gems and a ''null byte'' error. I
will check and see if there is anything I can do as far as Pimki is
concerned. There should be a bug fix (and minor enhancements) release
soon anyway.

Thanks, saw them - I'll try the patch.