[ANN] Pimki

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Assaph Mehr, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Assaph Mehr

    Assaph Mehr Guest

    ** About

    Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
    Manager. Current version is based in Instiki’s latest CVS (0.9.2).

    There are some features added to Instiki, features that only make sense
    when you view it as a personal application and not as a group oriented
    application. Some Instiki features were suppressed. See below for a
    full list.

    Please feel free to try it to organize your thoughts, email me if you
    have any problems (assaph at gmail). Get it at:

    http://pimki.rubyforge.org/

    ** Installation

    Download it from the RubyForge project page or go the gem way and
    simply run:
    gem install pimki

    To enable the Mind Map feature, GraphViz[2] must be installed and the
    bin directory on the system path.

    Run it with the command 'pimki' or install it as a service (see home
    page for details).
    Features

    ** Features

    Besides all the regular Instiki features, Pimki adds:

    * Mind Map: a graph of wiki connections (made with GraphViz).
    All graphs can be laid-out with the 4 GraphViz engines. Graph
    contents can be arranged as:
    o Page → linked pages
    o Authors → pages
    o Categories → pages
    Requires that GraphViz be installed and on the PATH to be
    enabled.
    * Bliki: a blog integrated with the wiki. Blog entries are simply
    wiki-pages in a special space. Can link from an entry to wiki
    pages.
    * Todo Items & List:
    o ‘todo:’ items are highlighted on each page.
    o Added a capacity to pull and list todo items from all
    pages.
    o On main list, items are highlighted according to date
    (if there is one).
    * Added capacity to (persistently :) Delete/Rename pages through
    the ‘All Pages’ list.
    * Added Left-Side Menu. Content options are:
    o Only pages that reference other pages (default)
    o All pages: by name
    o All pages: recently revised
    o All pages: recently visited
    o All pages: most often visited
    o User definable wiki-text
    * Expanded Search:
    o Search also tries to match the page names (not just
    contents).
    o Now showing part of sentence around match in search-results
    page.
    * Changed the nav-bar: added links to the Mind Map, Bliki and ToDo.
    Moved less relevant links to the bottom of Home Page: RSS,
    authors
    and export.

    Hope people find it useful.

    Cheers,
    Assaph

    [1] www.instiki.org
    [2] www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz
    Assaph Mehr, Nov 24, 2004

  2. On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:28:03 +0900, Assaph Mehr <> wrote:
    > ** About
    >
    > Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
    > Manager. Current version is based in Instiki's latest CVS (0.9.2).

    Take a look on [ http://bgjap.net/code/ruby/gems/ ] 0.9.1-3.gem have
    some improved features - no need from BlueCloth, RedCloth 3.0.0 can
    handle Markdown; rollbacks give you an editbox to submit/cancel
    changes; tests are in the separate directory. Maybe will help you for
    pimki. Seems my gems will not be included soon in the rubygems.
    Stoyan Zhekov, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Assaph Mehr

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:53:30 +0900, Stoyan Zhekov <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:28:03 +0900, Assaph Mehr <> wrote:

    > Seems my gems will not be included soon in the rubygems.

    I think we have crossed wires here. I'll send you and David a separate
    mail and figure out what we need to do to get this gem up ASAP :)
    (just want buy-in from him that it's good to go)

    --

    Chad Fowler
    http://chadfowler.com
    Chad Fowler, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Assaph Mehr

    Assaph Mehr Guest

    Hi!

    Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at your mods later. Have you
    submitted them to David HH for Instiki? He may be busy now, but they
    might be integrated in the future.

    As for markdown, I noticed that RedCloth 3.0.0 and 2.1.1 had somewhat
    different results when I tested on an existing page. Didn't have time
    to see what was the cause yet (quite possibly it's not redcloth's
    fault), so I just went with the existing set-up of both Red- and Blue-
    cloth.

    Cheers,
    Assaph
    Assaph Mehr, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Assaph Mehr

    Dick Davies Guest

    * Assaph Mehr <> [1128 02:28]:
    > ** About
    >
    > Pimki is my modified Instiki[1], aimed at being a Personal Information
    > Manager. Current version is based in Instiki?s latest CVS (0.9.2).
    >
    > There are some features added to Instiki, features that only make sense
    > when you view it as a personal application and not as a group oriented
    > application. Some Instiki features were suppressed. See below for a
    > full list.
    >
    > Please feel free to try it to organize your thoughts, email me if you
    > have any problems (assaph at gmail). Get it at:
    >
    > http://pimki.rubyforge.org/
    >

    > ** Installation
    >
    > Download it from the RubyForge project page or go the gem way and
    > simply run:
    > gem install pimki

    Problem here on my Debian box:

    planb:~# gem install pimki
    Attempting local installation of 'pimki'
    Local gem file not found: pimki*.gem
    Attempting remote installation of 'pimki'
    Install required dependency RedCloth? [Yn]
    Install required dependency BlueCloth? [Yn]
    Install required dependency rubyzip? [Yn]
    Install required dependency madeleine? [Yn]
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    string contains null byte
    planb:~# gem --version
    0.8.1
    planb:~# ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-23) [i386-linux]
    planb:~# uname -a
    Linux xxx 2.6.9-1-686 #1 Tue Nov 16 17:52:21 JST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

    --
    Bender, Ship, stop arguing or I'll come back there and change
    your opinions manually. - Leela
    Dick Davies, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Assaph Mehr

    Assaph Mehr Guest

    Hi Dick,

    There a few threads recently on ruby-gems and a ''null byte'' error. I
    will check and see if there is anything I can do as far as Pimki is
    concerned. There should be a bug fix (and minor enhancements) release
    soon anyway.

    Cheers,
    Assaph
    Assaph Mehr, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Assaph Mehr

    Dick Davies Guest

    * Assaph Mehr <> [1103 06:03]:
    > Hi Dick,
    >
    > There a few threads recently on ruby-gems and a ''null byte'' error. I
    > will check and see if there is anything I can do as far as Pimki is
    > concerned. There should be a bug fix (and minor enhancements) release
    > soon anyway.

    Thanks, saw them - I'll try the patch.

    --
    zzz..Kill all humans. Kill all humans..zzz .....
    I was having the most wonderous dream. You were in it. - Bender
    Dick Davies, Dec 1, 2004