[ANN] Pop3-Spamchecker poppers in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Karlheinz klingbeil, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. I have read quite a few mails recently with the question how to get rid of
    spam using a python script...

    As I was flooded with Spam-Mails in the past 2 weeks i wrote a python-script
    which kills spam in a new more-than-1 stage manner. You can download script
    and Doc at
    http://www.lunqual.de/poppers.zip
    Note that the script was developed on a Linux box, but should work just fine
    under any other OS

    here's the readme

    -------------------------------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    poppers 0.2 Readme
    Copyright 2003 by Karlheinz Klingbeil (lunqual)

    PopClean is a small script in python language which checks any
    pop3 mailbox and deletes contents based on regular expression
    matching in header and checking attachments before you have
    to download more junk than you can affort

    Requires

    popclean requires Python 2.2+ to be installed on your machine

    How to use:

    1. edit the poppers.py script
    in line 27 enter a proper path for your .poppers.conf file
    in line 31 enter a proper path for your .poppers.log file
    2. edit the .poppers.conf file
    - enter your user data in the list of users
    - set testmode to 1 if you don't want any messages on the
    server deleted. set testmode to 0 if you want the real thing ;))
    3. start poppers.py directly in a shell (after chmod +x)
    or by the command line 'python poppers.py'

    The .poppers.conf file has extensive information about configuration
    options, but here is short how it works:

    poppers has several stages

    Stage 1 : check if mail has a subject line
    if no , mark to delete

    Stage 2-1(deny) : check regular expressions for header
    lines to deny mails
    (it may be useful at this stage to
    deny _ALL_ mails by specifiying the
    line 'deny=from,to,subject:.*' Dont
    be afraid, read on ;))

    Stage 2-2(allow): check regular expression for header
    lines to allow mails (even if denied
    in Stage 2-1 )
    If you did the above mentioned killaction
    you can allow here mails to your own address
    only with the line 'allow=to:'

    if you do this, you will get rid of a fair amount of
    spam, for me this can be half to 2/3 of the Inbox

    Stage 3 : will be applied to all mails who are not still marked
    to delete.
    If a Mail contains a 'content-type: multipart' header
    it may contain an attachment.
    And if a mail _may_ contain an attachment a number of
    lines (specified by 'read_body=x' command will be
    downloaded and checked.
    therefore you can check a part of the mails body in
    this stage with a_deny and a_allow rules
    for example, the rule
    'a_deny=.*<atb>.*content-type.*name.*\.exe'
    will catch an exe attachment and deny this mail, but
    you can also allow certain attachments:
    'a_allow=.*<atb>.*content-type.*name.*\.pdf' will let
    a pdf attachment through.
    As you check rules against a part of the message body
    this is not limited for catching attachments only, but
    however, the part of the mailbody will only get downloaded
    if poppers assumes that there must be an attachment in it...

    if poppers searches for an attachment and doesnt find it
    within the specified number of lines you can delete the mail
    with the command 'delete_not_found_attachments=1' or
    let them undisturbed by 'delete_not_found_attachments=0'

    Stage 4 : final Stage, see Documentation for Stage 2, as the same rules
    can be applied. this is the point where you define rules
    based on subject,from or to headers. for example
    'f_deny=from,to,subject:.*microsoft' will delete all mails
    which contain the string 'microsoft' (case insensitive !)
    somewhere in the from,to or subject headerline

    Stage 4-1 : Final deny rules. Applied to all Mails which arent marked for
    deletion yet to give you a chance to catch them now

    Stage 4-2 : Final allow rules. Applied to all Mails which _ARE_ marked for
    deletion. this is the point where you can make rules for
    mails that _have_ to get through for some reasons. for
    example 'f_allow=from:.*mygirlfriend@the_neighbourhood.com'
    will allow mails from your girlfriend no matter what they
    contain.

    -------------------------------------------------------snip------------------------------------------------

    --
    Greetz.... lunqual
    http://www.lunqual.de
    Karlheinz klingbeil, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Thank you, Karlheinz!
    It's a great script.
    No I'm going to replace, with this one, my own ten minute hack which checked
    only for attachments within a certain size range and subject lines...
    That still solved most of my problems, though. But this script is so much
    nicer and has more potential. :)

    Best,
    Miklós

    Jegenye 2001 Bt, Oct 6, 2003